Under active thyroid

Options
Hey I was wondering if anyone else had an under active thyroid but still managed to be able to lose weight easily??

Answers

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    As long as you're properly medicated, it makes no difference. I lost 60 pounds at pretty much the expected rate and was on Synthroid the whole time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally. I lost all the weight while not being medicated at all because doctor thought a TSH of 12 was normal. Being undermedicated makes you tired, more hungry, you move less, you might feel miserable and your body might hold more onto water, but if you can ignore all of this then weightloss works like for everyone else. Of course you should find a doctor that treats symptoms, not blood values so that you feel normal and energetic. But I know it's not easy to find one such doctor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,591 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch that word "easily" in your OP, because "easy" is in the mind of the beholder.

I'm severely hypothyroid, properly medicated, lost 50-some pounds in a bit under a year (class 1 obese to a healthy weight) at age 59-60. In terms of methods, it was surprisingly simple and straightforward.

I won't claim it was necessarily psychologically "easy" every single second, but hypothyroidism was no barrier at all, that I could see. It even turned out that I need more calories than MFP predicts, for any given weight outcome.

Various things make weight loss hard for different people. It's easy to single out ones that apply to us, and feel like we have it especially hard. But everyone has challenges. Most can be overcome, if one takes the orientation that challenges are only worth considering in order to figure out how to get around, through, or otherwise past them.

Psychologically, making a hard thing into the reason one can't manage one's weight is kind of a dead end way of thinking. Yes, some people have insurmountable circumstances . . . but I've seen some of them here find a path that doesn't require changing the unchangeable.

Hypothyroidism is typically treatable, but not changeable. As barriers go, it's not IME a particularly difficult one.

You might benefit from reading this, too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It was written by a (former) MFP-er, a scientist in the hypothyroidism field, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight himself via calorie counting. Unlike so much nonsense on the web about hypothyroidism (often from people who want to sell us something!), it's solid, science based information. Highly recommended.

You can make calorie counting work for weight loss, if you commit to it.

Best wishes!