App's calculation of net carbs doesn't work for Allulose

Options
I'm on a ketogenic diet and I'm using Allulose (a rare indigestible sugar) in my coffee and with my first snack after dinner. Supposedly it slows stomach emptying, reducing appetite, stimulates excretion of blood glucose by the kidneys, and makes it easier for the brain to use ketones. So I want to track my use of it. But My Fitness Pal app is hard coded that net carbs is total carbs minus fiber, whereas it should also be minus indigestible carbs, e.g. Allulose. A teaspoon of Allulose has 4g carbs, zero grams of fiber, and 4g indigestible carbs, so the net carbs is zero, but the app won't calculate the net carbs correctly so it messes up my net carb counting for my keto diet. To work around it I created my own Allulose food in the app and said it had zero carbs, but that's not what the nutrition label says. I'm using the Splenda brand of Allulose and it says below the nutrition facts label: "NET CARBS: subtract fiber grams and Allulose grams from total carbohydrate grams. Allulose is not metabolized by the body for energy"

Replies

• Dittylicous
    Dittylicous Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have the same? Love the app and the QR scan function, but running into same issue trying to track my net carbs, example Munk Pack Keto Bars says net 2G per bar, but thats backing out 7G of Allulose - so logging 9G of carb instead of 2G.

Seems like a rather large issue given the use case of this app - does anyone from MyFitnessPal ever respond to these? Didn't find a way to ask support?

Love the app other than that )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    dittytv wrote: »
    Have the same? Love the app and the QR scan function, but running into same issue trying to track my net carbs, example Munk Pack Keto Bars says net 2G per bar, but thats backing out 7G of Allulose - so logging 9G of carb instead of 2G.

Seems like a rather large issue given the use case of this app - does anyone from MyFitnessPal ever respond to these? Didn't find a way to ask support?

Love the app other than that )

The MFP staff doesn't read every one of the hundreds/thousands of Community posts daily.

If you want to suggest that they subtract allulose to get to net carbs, this is the place to post feature requests:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

The staff does read and respond to posts there.

For reaching out to support, how you do it varies based on which MFP version you're using. In web browser MFP, you can use the Help link on the Community home page, on the upper right hand side of the page under Quick Links, or in the top menu on most pages in the main part of MFP (i.e., not the Community). In phone/tablet MFP, it's on the More menu (click that on the lower right of the dashboard page), or it can be accessed in the Community there via the Quick Links at the bottom of the Community home page.

I don't think this feature would be a quick/easy add to the app technically: AFAIK there isn't a field for Allulose in the database. That would be needed, then the data field would need to be populated somehow.

Most people using MFP aren't low carbing, let alone doing keto. I understand that this feature would be important to someone who is, but I'm not sure I'd call it "a large issue given the use case of this app". Even when I was losing weight, plus or minus that small number of grams of carbs was totally immaterial to me, let alone now when maintaining on 225g+ carbs daily. I suspect that's true for a lot of people, though obviously not for everyone. (Some people would even avoid eating ingredients like Allulose.)

I'm not trying to diss your dietary choices, and absolutely agree that the net carb calculation as it stands isn't fully accurate for that reason. That's without even getting into the fact that the crowd-sourced database is multinational, and some non-US countries' labeling regulations already back fiber out of the carb count, so subtracting it again is undercounting carbs. One could avoid that if super-careful in choosing database entries, of course.