How do you choose what foods to eat?

Options
Txman70
Txman70 Posts: 15
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I discovered and started using Myfitnesspal about a week ago. My goal is to loose 42 lbs and 16 percentage points of fat. I have been trying to read as much as I can to understand how to best use the app. I believe I understand and have set up the app to reflect the proper amount calories and macro nutrients. But what I am finding to be very tedious is deciding what foods I should be eating to meet the nutrient goals. So, my question is how do others do this. It would be very helpful to this newbie, if some of you experienced folks would describe the process you go through to choose your foods so as to not only meet your caloric goals but also your nutritional goals? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SuzyBeah
    Options
    Hi! I started eating better and by better I mean non-processed food, no tv diners, no fast food. And when I do buy let's say a box of cracker, I make sure that there is not more then 4 ingredients on the label. I switch from dairy milk to almond milk, I make myself green smoothies everyday, and try to exercise as much as possible :)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Eat fish, lean turkey, chicken, lots of veggies, whole wheats, fruits. But it's ok to eat cake, icecream, candy, chips, pizza etc, just as long as it fits into your allotted calories and it's in moderation.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    After you do it for a while, you learn which foods will help you meet this macro, without causing you to go over that one. Sometimes I just log one of my options. See what is has... delete... add a different option... compare. Figure out the best choice to meet all of my needs.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You will probably find out that eating stuff like 'Special K" is low calorie, but also not that filling or nutritious.

Then, when you start logging more fresh fruits and veggies, that your nutritional bases are covered, you feel fuller longer and happier from eating healthy foods, AND you have a lot more calories to play with in a day.

That's my quick advice especially if you are trying to restrict calories and don't think you could ever feel full/happy eating less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They choose me....

Just kidding...my focus is primarily on nutrient dense foods...I don't get all into whether this is clean or that is clean or if this is processed or minimally processed or whatever. I think most of it's common sense...I eat a lot of fruits and veg...nuts, avocados, olive oil/avocado oil, lean cuts of beef, chicken, fish...basically a lot of naturally occuring whole foods. I cook primarily from scratch, but don't shy away from using a can of this or that for convenience either. I don't eat much in the way of "junk" but will on occasion (i.e. if I'm going to the ball game I'm having a friggin' hotdog).

Basically I try to eat as much of the "right" things as possible...all the while, getting my fitness on and occasionally indulging in some not so "right" things.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it, just start logging. The learning curve is about 2 weeks before you know what foods are better bang for your buck. Pre-logging really helps, I do it all the time after someone suggested it here.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Mostly trial and error, to be honest.

The first thing I realized was that in order to meet my 140g of protein and 65g of fat, AND get sufficient quantities of veges, I was not going to be able to eat much bread/pasta/rice/pizza/ other carb heavy stuff. Not because those things are bad, per se, they just use up way too many calories without giving me enough in return.

My typical day is -

Breakfast
    berry protein smoothie
    oatmeal

Lunch
    Hunk of assorted protein (most often a chicken breast, but salmon, pork, beef are all fair game)
    two to four portions of buttered vegetables, or a large salad with feta cheese and an olive oil based dressing

Dinner
    This is where the most variety is introduced. Personally I opt for mostly home made, but it's not necessary. Some typical meals are-
    Chili with brown rice
    Fresh breaded cod with steak fries and vegetables
    Steak, mashed potatoes and peas
    Spaghetti Bolognese
    If I've had a carb heavy day without sufficient activity, I'll often skip the carbs at dinner in order to make up the inevitable protein/fat deficit.

Snacks
    Generally cliff builder bars or Zone bars, depending on who did the grocery shopping.
    Almonds
    Fruit

Evening snacks
    I typically save some 'disposable' calories for ice cream and/or beer/wine/port. By disposable I mean that I've already met my nutritional needs for the day, so I can use the calories however I see fit.

Edited to add - should anyone be looking at my diary, I've had a terrible couple of weeks due to injury and generally feeling a bit sorry for myself. Don't judge me! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Just eat the foods you like, study your Food Diary and learn. It's what we all did. No one gets this at first.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just eat the foods you like, study your Food Diary and learn. It's what we all did. No one gets this at first.

This, precisely.

That's exactly how I arrived at the meal plan in my previous post. I just guessed as best I could, and learned as I went along.

Good rule of thumb if you are on 30/30/40 macros is to focus on protein and fat, and let the carbs take care of themselves. In the modern western world you will never be short of carbs unless you consciously restrict them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I choose foods that I like. I eat a balanced diet with lots of vegetables, lean meats, fish/seafood, whole grains, olive oil and the occasional treat or splurge food/meal/day. But, always foods I enjoy eating.

I track my calories, macros, fiber and servings of vegetables and average them out. As long as they are balanced well on average, I don't stress about the day to day.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OK so I am a poor model of how to choose foods, I stand there reading the panel and then decide OK I like the taste so I am good to eat that. Most times I am within my goals by 1 or 3% points sometimes (birthday <grin>) I am way outside my targets. I try not to over analyze but sometimes ....
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Eat as close to nature as possible, and if you read a label with a long list of ingredients,and you have no idea what they are, then stay away from it.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I keep restaurant foods to a minimum- all the added sodium & fat is hard to quantify and makes it impossible for me to drop lbs.

I chug water all day everyday. And I do drink afresh veggie+grapefruit juice/day. It flushes me out and I dont really count the calories on them.

If I have to eat at a restaurant I try to steer it towards a sushi restaurant where I avoid soy sauce and order things like brown rice tuna rolls or brown rice salmon/tunhand rolls. I can still drop lbs as the food is totally plain.

I eat all food groups but as "clean" as possible- meaning everything is organic, whole and homemade for the most part. I avoid all foods that come in packages, sauces etc bc it tends to have loads of extra cals or sodium. I do eat bread but its homemade whole wheat high fiber- not from a bag/factory. I am just one of those ppl who can not give up bread. there are some ppl who will swear by eating anything as long as its within their calorie goal and still losing, for me that doesnt work.

I dont give up food groups or limit carbs. I find when I do either, I lack energy and end up needing to eat more

***oh one more thing. If ever I find myself at a restaurant/party or any situation where Im forced to eat things I normally wouldnt, I try to stick to vegetarian. everyone has their own version of how to handle situations like these: some ppl order salads w no dressings, etc. But sometimes thats not possible. So for example, I was at an Italian restaurant for a bday. I ended up eating pasta w a veggie marinara sauce and some fresh parm & a piece of bday cake. Everyone else was stuffed from too much chicken parm, or sausage and peppers, etc but Id saved loads of calories from avoiding the greasy meats. And I still got to enjoy a real menu item rather than a cold dry salad.
  • jknightoz
    jknightoz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only things I try to stay completely away from are fried foods and full calorie soft drinks. Otherwise, eat what you want and just keep the portions in moderation. Try not to drink your calories unless it is a smoothie/shake/meal replacement type drink. Soon you will find the foods you like that also fill you up without throwing out your whole day's worth of calories at one shot. Don't deprive yourself of things you like or you will find it hard to keep up. I have gone through several studies with the Human Performance Research and Nutrition depts at the University in my town. This is what they have seen the most success with; the non-diet diet. Good luck!
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started by trading foods that I want to eat for foods that are better for me:

Oil popped popcorn for butter TO Air popped popcorn with spray oil
    Ice cream TO Smoothie (1 frozen banana, 1 cup of 2 per cent milk, 1/2 cup of frozen berries)
    Diet drink TO Infused water (Cucumber slices, orange, lime or lemon wedges)
    White bread TO Whole wheat Bread
    Full calorie whole wheat bread TO lower calorie whole wheat bread (Joseph's Whole Grain Pita Bread or Nature's Best Whole Wheat Bread)

For foods that I can't seem to give up (yet), I limit how much I have.
    Two martinis TO One martini
    Two eggs TO One egg (or One egg and + egg whites)
    As much mayonnaise as I want! TO 1-2 Tablespoons

And, more recently, I have started looking at the nutritional value of my foods and making more choices based on that.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Strictly by taste.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

^^ Absolutely this. I see what puts me over on calories and figure out how to lower those amounts, or which macros I am under and figure out what supports that particular nutrient.

Just remember, whatever changes you choose make be sure that you can keep them up for a lifetime. If you think that you can go 'clean' and keep it up long term, go for it. I can't, or, really, I just don't want to :smile: But I am eating more nutritious and less calorie dense foods than I was, and it is becoming a maintainable way of eating without feeling deprived of anything.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options

This ^
    When I started mfp I just used it to log my foods and work out what I was REALLY eating and drinking, then from there I learnt about correct portion sizes etc and now I just eat what I fancy in moderation, and try get more fruit and veggies in and less junk :drinker:
  • Txman70
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it, just start logging. The learning curve is about 2 weeks before you know what foods are better bang for your buck. Pre-logging really helps, I do it all the time after someone suggested it here.

By pre-logging I take it you mean adding the item to MFP before you eat it and looking at the calorie and nutritional info instead of after eating. Correct?
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use the pyramid as far as servings. I dont deprive myself either. if I want icecream or nachos(which are my trigger foods) I eat them but in moderation. I want to eat the way I plan on eating the rest of my life once I reach my goal. and WATER!!!!
This discussion has been closed.