Noor Brown Basmati Rice calories

Options
This rice doesn't state whether the nutritional info is based on cooked or raw. How do I know or find out?
hk207312y73i.png

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Raw rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa and similar things always come in at around 355-365 calories per 100gr. Thus this is raw. Cooked rice absorbs a lot of water and those originally 100gr get heavier for the same amount of calories. Thus cooked rice would be about 130 calories per 100gr, or for 360 calories you'd get 277gr cooked rice.

Wow, interesting! Here 100gr of rice are considered to be one cup! Don't use a measurement in cups here as an American cup would be a lot less I'd guess.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Another thought for a quick fact check: 1gr of carbs has about 4 calories, and so does 1g of protein. 1g of fat has 9 calories. With most food there's a bit of water in it. Thus rice is mostly carbs and would theoretically 400 calories. But there's a tiny bit of water in dried rice and hence you get the 360.

Cucumbers have about 15 calories per 100gr. It's also mostly carbs. That means that cucumber consists of 85% water and 15% of food stuff 😅
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,278 Member
    Options
    The label should always show raw. The cooked weight may vary based on how much water you add.

You can do a quick check if you have a food scale. Weigh a cup of dry rice. I bet it will weigh the right amount, although as @yirara said, a "cup" may not be a "cup."

For grins, I went to the USDA Food Data Central to check. Basmati is long grain. There's an entry for long grain rice. It shows 100 grams of uncooked long grain brown rice has 367 calories.

You can also always use the MFP database to check. I went to the database and searched for "Rice, brown, long grain, uncooked" and found an entry showing 100 grams is 370 calories.

MyFitnessPal has some really powerful tools at your disposal. Use them and enjoy all the delicious food.