How to battle the addiction?

Options
Animi411
Animi411 Posts: 2 Member
I am more than morbidly obese. Apparently I have an addiction to food. Yesterday I was not hungry but my mind kept telling me to eat. I couldn’t stop thinking about food. I couldn’t do anything else. It was aweful! It was just my mind working against me. I nearly cried.
Today I cut up a rotisserie chicken. I peeled off the skin and it was nearly painful to toss away the skin rather than eat it. I had it in my hand and it smelled so good. How am I going to be able to keep dieting when it is this hard?

Most people who are trying to loose weight are like, Oh! I’m trying to loose 20-30lbs. That’s nothing! I have to loose nearly 250lbs!

I’m scared!

Answers

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    edited January 10
    Options
    Are you speaking to a therapist? I would also get a referral to a dietitian. Learning the foundation of how to eat to lose weight and for maintenance is important and they will give you the tools to manage that.

It doesn’t have to be as scary as you think. If you find out your TDEE all you have to do is eat 250-500 calories less than that to lose .5-1lb a week (generally speaking). You don’t have to cut out any food you love. You just need to eat within your calories. You can also start right now by setting up your profile and weight loss goal and MFP will give you a daily calorie goal. Log your meals here and you’re on your way.
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Like the other commenter said, maybe a therapist and dietician would be super helpful. Like everything it takes time to figure out what works for you. For me, completely cutting out all the treats doesn't work, I save enough calories for the end of the day so I get a sweet treat at night, then I don't feel like I'm just miserable all the time. I feel like there's a way to relearn how to eat so you can still eat the things you enjoy and lose weight.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 777 Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    How's it going?

I think it can be hard to give up our typical foods we always ate... for me, certain desserts at certain holidays has been tuff.

I think change is 2 parts - releasing the extras we used to eat....

Plus, exploring what we can eat that will be yummy and satisfy us, be enough and not too much...

Explore new foods/recipes... for me, this includes good ingredients i will enjoy. The rotisserie chicken sounds easy and totally delish... we used to eat the skin too, now i tend to get skinless to cook. That helps, and especially if we marinate and grill up a batch..

• carley_marie83
    carley_marie83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I second everyone else that a therapist and a dietitian would be the best support you need right now. You can work on what drives you to binge. Instead of focusing on what you are removing from your diet perhaps change the focus on what you are adding into your diet? If you need a friend feel free to contact me.