Looking for a few good friends.

Options
anmlmzdiet
anmlmzdiet Posts: 179 Member
I'm back to the meat grinder again. Maybe this time will be a bigger success. I'm 53 years old and 300lbs. So, I need to lose a lot. I want friends who can be supportive while still appreciating a good joke or story. We can swap ideas and recipes or just hang out and talk about our funny kids. If this is you, add me as a friend. Believe me, I need you as much as.... well you get it.

Just wanted to bring up this idea that a potato may no longer be a potato 😕. Then what is it? It doesn't look like a duck.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    May I ask you a question?

If you've done this before without success, what will you do different this time to assure your success?

Oh. Yeah... Why could Leonard Bernstein never go outside during a thunderstorm? He was a very good conductor.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you're on your way! When you wrote you were hoping for a bigger success, what is it you're looking for?

I should also ask what you'll do this time to keep the weight off - to avoid the backslide? It's just as hard to maintain weight loss as it is to lose the weight. The only difference is you get a few more calories per day.

I bet it's hard to kick the soda habit. I drink coffee in the morning, and then mostly switch to water. Sometimes I drink "fizzy water," and often with some flavors. You probably know the kind. It gives me a little something different from just tap water. No calories, and it's not sweet. I think it's common for it to be tough to kick the sweet habit at first, but it gets easier.

Why do people carry umbrellas when it rains? Because umbrellas can't walk.
  • anmlmzdiet
    Options
    I like that joke, lol.

Actually, I need to lose 160lbs. I'm 5'2", so 140 is a reasonable long-term goal. I debated for a while if I should make it higher, but I figured I could change it later if I need to.

I appreciate your insights into maintenance. Since the last time I was low enough to worry about maintenance was before I had my 18 year old daughter. I did lots of cardio in those days. I couldn't even imagine doing that now. I'd likely break something or someone.

What's green and has wheels?
    Grass. I lied about the wheels 🛞 🛞
  • mtaratoot
    edited January 12
    Options
    Did you hear about the guy who invented dip made from garbanzo beans but didn't get any recognition for it? He was honored posthummusly.

What do you call an uncool beet? A square root.

What do you call a policeman who patrols farmers’ fields? A beet cop!

If two vegans get in a fight, is it still considered a beef? Or a beet down?

• anmlmzdiet
    Options
    I'll give you one last, true dad joke.

Q: What do you call a line of dads waiting to get haircuts?
    A: The barberqueue!

It's been so nice talking to you, we should be friends.
  • mtaratoot
    edited January 12
    Options
    I have a few friends, but I find I prefer the Community for support. I cull my friends frequently; it seems people just like to accumulate them, and I don't necessarily find that anyone wants to actually be anything like a friend. There are a few examples. The dialogue that happens here is, to me, better.

If you're looking for more support and a friendly place to share your successes and struggles, you might enjoy a group that I'm in. It's a friendly bunch of folks who support each other. We have some ongoing challenges for those who wish to participate, but they're totally optional. We sometimes have "special" challenges too, and they are also optional. The only requirement is to record your starting weight and your goals for the end of each quarter and then simply to weigh in once a week.

You'd be welcome to join us. It's a private group, so you have to request to join, but you'll be approved.

Interested? Check out Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!. We're waiting for you.[/quote]

• anmlmzdiet
    Options
    Hi all. I took mtaratoot advice and joined Lose 1+ Pounds a Week. It has some fun challenges and some advice too. The people are fairly intelligent, and can help with most topics. There are also men and women, so it's pretty light on the frilly stuff. I like it. Come join us. Make health and losing your new skill.
  • Hismione
    Hismione Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah sister! You can do it. It took years to gain that weight, so it will take time to loose. Don't rush it. Be patient. Be steady.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    anmlmzdiet wrote: »
    Hi all. I took mtaratoot advice and joined Lose 1+ Pounds a Week. It has some fun challenges and some advice too. The people are fairly intelligent, and can help with most topics. There are also men and women, so it's pretty light on the frilly stuff. I like it. Come join us. Make health and losing your new skill.

I'm blushing ☺️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you've joined that group, @ammlmzdiet: They'll help you with a good course.

I have to admit, your OP scared me a little. "Meat grinder"? Yikes! In that context where successful bodyweight management is a forever endeavor . . . well, who wants to be in a meat grinder forever? :grimace: The sweet spot is maybe more like an energetic Swedish massage: May feel a little rough at first, but once you relax into it, it's not just beneficial but actually enjoyable.

I think you're gonna get it this time, long term. Just don't quit. If one thing doesn't work for you, learn from it and try another. Think about how to make it easier, not how to make it happen fastFastFAST.

Best wishes for success: IME, the effort invested is worth it, in improved quality of life.

P.S. I like slightly inappropriate dad jokes.

Did you hear about the lion that ate Spartacus' wife? He was glad he ate her.

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef.
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Adore you already! In a similar spot, so, yep!