Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Afib and weight loss

seeahill
seeahill Posts: 56 Member
Last August, I was diagnosed with Afib. Everyone's different, but the way it affected me was that my heart beat way too fast for minor effort. At the top of a flight of stairs, I'd be bent over, hands on my knees, chest heaving as if I'd just run a fast 100-yard dash. This was not how I wanted to live the rest of my life. I did some research --- legit PubMed sources --- and found that an overweight person, like myself, had a good chance to ameliorate or even cure Afib if he lost 10% of his body weight. I am 6 feet tall and weighed 235.
I began logging my food on FP. In five months, I've lost 30 pounds. That's about 13%.
And I no longer have Afib. It's gone.,

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,364 Member
    Wow! That's just great.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,364 Member
    @jqwade Luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    That's wonderful, @seeahill. While not everyone with afib may see that result, I feel like everyone gets some great improvements from losing a big chunk of weight. The things like improving a health condition, being able to reduce medications, etc., are especially excellent, though, IMO.

Nice work!
  • seeahill
    seeahill Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to others dealing with AFib. I've found that it affects different people differently. In addition to weight loss, I took the drug prescribed (Metropolol) and drastically cut back on alcohol.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,453 Member
    I'm really glad you posted. I was diagnosed with the same type. I've lost a lot of weight since then. Maybe mine is gone, too.
    I didn't know anything was wrong before the ecg, so I still don't know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!