How do I know my macros is correct?

Options
I have set up macros from a trainer friend. Followed but not losing weight. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Having some more information might enable an informed reply.
    • What are your stats (age, weight, height)?
    • What is your calorie target?
    • How did you settle on that calorie target?
    • How are you measuring what you eat? Do you use a food scale?
    • How long have you been following your plan?

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just macros, or calories as well?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am 64, 5 ft 7.5 inches tall, weigh 221
    Macros set for me by a trainer P=180 grams, C=184.6, F=62

I started measuring and using a food scale last Monday. I have never lifted weights before May of 2023. I just assumed all the workouts would add up to weight loss by now. I am much stronger and my dexa scans are looking like I am not losing bone mass anymore. But I am still over weight. I must figure this out. I have had blood work done as well. I appreciate everyone's help. I am seeking out some nutritionists to look over my food diary.

Just be careful with osteoporosis and weight loss. Keep up the resistance training! It's a big win that bone loss seems to have stabilized. Weight loss leading to bone loss is something that's not talked about very often, but definitely something women should be aware of.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? It takes 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles if you have them) to really know a realistic average weight loss rate from a new eating/activity regimen. Short of that, water and digestive contents mask the results.

This is a good read, especially the article linked in the first post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010It/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

It's calorie level that directly determines fat gain/loss, not macros. Sure, some macro mixes make it easier/harder by affecting appetite or energy level, but it's the underlying calories that are the vital thing. Macro mix can be tailored to individual needs (within reasonable limits), and different mixes will best (still indirectly) support weight loss in different people.

That said, each macro has a characteristic approximate calorie level: Protein and carbs are about 4 calories per gram, fats 9 calories per gram, alcohol (not a real macro, but consumable and has calories) 7 calories per gram. The implication is that a particular macro mix (when expressed in grams) has an associated calorie level.

So: What are your macro goals? What calorie goal do they give you, or did you set? How old/tall/active are you, and what's your starting/current weight? If you can give us a few more details, we could give more nuanced advice.

Short of that, the generic answer to "why am I not losing" is usually in here somewhere:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg[/quote]

Best wishes!
  • teardropterry
    teardropterry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 64, 5 ft 7.5 inches tall, weigh 221
    Macros set for me by a trainer P=180 grams, C=184.6, F=62

I started measuring and using a food scale last Monday. I have never lifted weights before May of 2023. I just assumed all the workouts would add up to weight loss by now. I am much stronger and my dexa scans are looking like I am not losing bone mass anymore. But I am still over weight. I must figure this out. I have had blood work done as well. I appreciate everyone's help. I am seeking out some nutritionists to look over my food diary.
  • Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And what's your calorie level?
    There are so many reasons that the weight might not be moving. For me, it was a FODMAP issue! If you're eating under calorie intake and the body weight is not shifting, might be worth investigating and finding answers.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    I'm confused: you've only been tracking your food since last Monday? You can't expect progress that fast.

If you've been doing strength training since May, but not measuring your food, I'm not surprised you haven't lost weight. Strength training isn't a huge calorie burner and it's very easy to undo those burned calories by eating a bit more because of, for example, subtly increased appetite if you're not measuring your food.

Calories are what matter here: 2000 calories may or may not be the right number for you. (Macros have an impact on health, satiation,...)
    As Ann explained: follow your goal (and measure your food) for 4-6 weeks (or full menstrual cycles, if applicable) and then adjust if necessary.
  • teardropterry
    teardropterry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you. My calorie level was set at 1990. I think I will lower it a few hundred. I have been doing this tracking since summer.

I plan on lifting weights the rest of my life. I absolutely love the camaraderie of my weight training class and how I feel. Yo really be healthy and ease the pain on knees etc I have to get out of this obese zone.i know I the key is what I eat. Measure too!!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You should be losing weight at 2,000 calories I think.

I like this calculator. Note it includes all your weekly activity in the estimate including workouts. Your TDEE is estimated here to be about 2,100 to 2,500.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

As mentioned, lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it has enormous health benefits, and it sounds like you're seeing some of that progress. Perhaps you've had a bit of recomp going on. Are some measurements like waist or hips a bit smaller? Clothes fitting better?

If you open up your food diary to be public, people may be able to spot tracking errors. It's also assumed you are correctly tracking *everything*, all food and drink, every day. The database is user sourced so if you use an incorrect entry for a frequent food, that error can pile up.

If you cut any calories, I'd say cut mostly from carbs. You may have to time your carb intake allowance to be before and after workouts. Another thing you can do is low impact zone 2 cardio, which isn't taxing but it burns a lot of calories. Just walking e.g. Or a recumbent bike, or whatever. Again, zone 2, so it doesn't wear you out and lead to reduced NEAT, or increased appetite, or being too tired to do the lifting. Ideally you'd do this separate to a lifting workout.