Dieting - WHERE TO START?

Options
2»

Replies

• hollyhumm
    hollyhumm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a friend, who is a trainer, set a menu for me - its full of healthy alternatives and protein snacks. I am allowed 1 cheat every 3 weeks - of 1 item that I can have. Last year when I was strict with it I had lost 35 lbs in 2 mos. So I want to get back on track. I would say always pack your lunch. Plan you day with the food chart on here. That way you get into the habit of know what you will have to make ur calorie count. Good luck!
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I started by going Primal (which means diet and exercise.) But Primal is not for everyone, but it has been good for me in many ways. The times I have lost weight in the past, I really restricted my carbs because I HATE being hungry, and if I restrict my carbs, I can eat more of the veggies and such and feel full. This time around, when I restrict the carbs I no longer had the shaky hungry feeling I used to have, and also just feel full for longer, no matter what I am doing. Yes, I don't eat bread, except on rare occassions. I eat minimal rice or pasta. I still make the same foods I used to, but I just don't do the carbs. Well, take that back - I was getting some fast food on a regular basis - I don't do that any more.

I also started slowly exercising more. This summer that has meant that I get up early and walk or jog for an hour. I got an app (Map My Run) that helps me track distances, times and calories. It has been inspiring to see how much I can do if I stick with it. Now, that doesn't mean I do the same thing day after day. I sometimes jog, I sometimes walk. Some days I do 5 miles, some days 2 or 3. I am adding in swimming now, and did a mile this morning.

But....in June, there was no way I could go that far. June, I was able to walk just about two miles in an hour. I could swim about 8 laps (1/8 of a mile) and I was beat. I have slowly worked up to it. And I did not lose immediately because I was gaining muscle.

To help you get started, I suggest that you commit to making a healthy dinner every night, and then make more than you need so that you can eat left overs for lunch instead of going out.