To eat or not to eat...after a certain time...

Options
So I'm just a little confused on when is a good time to start eating dinner. I get off work at 5pm and I like to go and work out after wards for about an hour and half. By the time I get home and start cooking its aroud 8pm. I've heard from so many people that eating after 7pm you can gain weight and then I hear from people saying that you can eat anytime you want as long as its at least 3 hours before you go to bed. I usually don't hit the sack until around 11pm or so. So what is a good time and not a good time to eat dinner??

Replies

• metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I always heard that it's not good to eat past 5 or 7pm, but since you're working out, I don't think eating at 8 should pose a problem for you. You're burning calories and you need food to replenish your body. Just as long as it's not heavy food such as high calorie/fat meals, you should be fine.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to have to experiment to see what works for you. When I am working, I have a light snack and get supper started. While it is cooking I get a walk or a workout in. I find that if I eat too late, I don't sleep well and it shows up on the scale. You might be able to get a DVD done before dinner, then after dinner take a walk or light run. You will find your nitch! Wishing you luck!:flowerforyou:
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I always eat at 6.30/7pm. I try to make a lot so that there's left overs for the next two days, so if I'm working past 6pm, I don't have to cook when I arrive back home (around 7pm) and just re-heat. I try not to eat past 8 or 9pm (dinner and including snacking).

But yes, I have also heard that you should give at least 3-4hrs digestion time before you sleep. I suppose it's because it's to do with the heart rate slowing down and everything else slows down with it including digestion.

Anyhow, if you're hungry, then you should eat. Just listen to your body. If you're having dinner late, then just don't eat a massive portion. Keep it small and light.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    It does not matter when you eat your calories or how many meals it takes. The "Don't eat after X pm or you will gain weight" is a myth that keeps on going and going. Calories are calories regardless of how and when they are consumed and studies show this. Now individuals may have problems if they eat late such as making sleep difficult or uncomfortable due to digestive issues in a prone position but it does not affect weight loss/gain.