Looking for support

Options
Hello, I've been a Myfitnesspal member for around 4 years. I have yet to reach my goals. For some reason I lack motivation. Yes, I have realistic goals, I have a plan, I use this platform as a jounel, and I've done my research. The one thing I'm missing is a support group. My goals are to loose 40 lbs and at the same time bulk up some in a year. That's the overall longterm goal. I have small goals as well, like loose at least a pound a week. I have no problem eating healthy, been doing it for a long time now. My biggest problem is to stop drinking. I drink too much, that's why I'm overweight. I drink because I like it, not cause I'm depressed or anything, I just like drinking. I once stopped drinking for 10 years. I had motivation then. Now I'm in my 40's and just don't have as much energy like I use to. So, any thoughts on this long post?

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're sure the drinking is the issue, maybe try to cut back a little each day. Same with food, cut back a bite or two at each meal. The brain resists change so making them a tiny bit at a time keeps it from freaking out.
  • Venus_1
    Venus_1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I decided to cut on alcohol this year, so what works for me is checking some videos on youtube about alcohol effects on body and brain. Cuts the desire to drink in seconds. And there is a thread here « less alcohol » it’s normally on the first page in Motivation category. It has loads of useful resources and supportive people.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Venus_1 wrote: »
    I decided to cut on alcohol this year, so what works for me is checking some videos on youtube about alcohol effects on body and brain. Cuts the desire to drink in seconds. And there is a thread here « less alcohol » it’s normally on the first page in Motivation category. It has loads of useful resources and supportive people.

This is what I do as well. :)

Watch the videos and learn how destructive and addictive alcohol is.

The absolute key to getting to my goal weight was completely eliminating alcohol use. Alcohol empty calories isn't doing you any Favours!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    Well... you managed 10 years without alcohol and I'm sure you can do that again! It sounds as though you are almost motivated and understand it's the thing between you and reaching your fitness/weight goals. Is drinking the only pleasure you get out of life and that's what's keeping you from giving it up? I stopped cold turkey 2 years ago because my doctor said a prescription medication I had to take would not work if I was drinking. I missed wine so much! I really loved the action of holding a glass and putting it to my lips and savoring the taste. But I decided to develop some new hobbies to distract me, which has helped a lot. Also, I kept a calendar and for every day I did not drink alcohol I gave myself a gold star. It was childish but I felt accomplished every time I could acknowledge my success. Nobody else cared but I wanted some affirmation of sorts. Come back here and post what you're trying and I'll cheer you on!