Home Made Tortilla Wraps

Options
MachOne4
MachOne4 Posts: 16 Member
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade tortilla wraps?

Any I have followed up to now haven't turned out very well.
I'm using just three ingredients - flour, water, and salt.

But the dough is very sticky. And it's very hard to roll.
It gets stuck to my hands and rolling pin.

I dust it with extra flour to try and stop it sticking, but then end up using way too much flour. More than the recipe called for.

Anyone got any tips???

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Making tortillas by hand is an art. Is it worth it? If you've ever had a fresh tortilla, you're likely to say yes.

I suggest making corn tortillas not wheat flour. Get masa harina. Masa is nixtamalized corn. Invest in a tortilla press, and you'll be rewarded with good tortillas.

If you make wheat flour tortillas, try to weigh the flour (and water) instead of measure. Take notes each time, and when you figure out the proportions that work, put those notes somewhere you'll remember. I think if you let the dough rest before rolling you might have better luck. You might even add part of the water and let the flour hydrate before adding the rest of the water and even then still let it rest. Working with dough can be challenging. Fresh bread is worth it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Making tortillas by hand is an art. Is it worth it? If you've ever had a fresh tortilla, you're likely to say yes.

I suggest making corn tortillas not wheat flour. Get masa harina. Masa is nixtamalized corn. Invest in a tortilla press, and you'll be rewarded with good tortillas.

If you make wheat flour tortillas, try to weigh the flour (and water) instead of measure. Take notes each time, and when you figure out the proportions that work, put those notes somewhere you'll remember. I think if you let the dough rest before rolling you might have better luck. You might even add part of the water and let the flour hydrate before adding the rest of the water and even then still let it rest. Working with dough can be challenging. Fresh bread is worth it.

This. All of this.