Calories in Twinings Mango & Strawberry Tea

Options
This may seem like a really daft question, but here we go.

The nutritional info states that in 100ml of brewed infusion there are 2 calories, and that this is based on an infusion brewed with 200ml water for 3 minutes.

So does this mean if I brew the tea bag in 400ml of water (my mugs are big), that it would total 8 calories.

I know water is calorie free, it’s just that the wording has confused me.

Best Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,492 Member
    edited January 15 Answer ✓
    Options
    Only if you double the tea bags, which I do, because my mugs are also huge.

If it’s one tea bag in a gallon of water, it’s still two calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unless you drink that tea by the absolute boatload, pick a value and stick with it. I like Springlering's answer up there.

I hear that you're concerned, and want to do things right. But all of this is an exercise in useful estimates, not a magic formula that has to be exactly exact or we won't achieve our weight goals. Perspective is important.

Think about 8 calories vs 2 calories in the big picture. Home food scales don't weigh things accurately enough to be accurate within 8 calories for calorie-dense things like oils or peanut butter. One apple probably can be sweeter than the next by 8 calories. Even if on the lowest calorie goal MFP would give a woman, 1200, 8 calories is six tenths of a percent of that goal. At the male minimum of 1500, it's more like 5 tenths of a percent. Base calorie goal estimates based on population averages will be off by more than 8 calories for a lot of people, because we're not all exactly average.

There are many challenges in calorie counting, but it's doable. Part of what makes it doable (or not) is keeping a sense of proportion, focusing on the major factors, not feeling anxiety about every little thing. Sustaining our mentally healthy attitudes about food and eating is part of achieving success. We can be close in our logging, and that's good enough. To improve our practice, the big deal is focusing on the big stuff.

I do log small things, even cups of coffee or matcha tea. I prefer to log everything, not think about which things are big enough to log, because logging everything helps me not forget to log (very often ;) ). I don't worry about whether my coffee has more calories if I use an extra scoop of ground coffee, or some extra water. I just log a generic cup of coffee. I lost weight fine, maintain weight fine.

Best wishes!

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,412 Member
    Options
    Water has no calories, and I really doubt the calories. Thus the calories would be per teabag. I honestly doubt the calories would go up substantially if you left the teabag in longer, tbh. I mean, 2cal?
  • samtaylor08
    samtaylor08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. These have been really helpful. Also helped me not to worry too much and overthink things. Xxx
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Options
    m not to worry too much and overthink things. Xxx

This^^^^^

you can get so bogged down in the mud and thorns, you never even see the forest above.

I think by the time I decided to get my hind end in gear, my body was so shocked and happy at the changes I made, it was more than ready to reward me with a little woohoo! weight loss, even if I made piddly logging errors.