developing muscle in women

Options
schnarfo
schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
Hello everyone. I have got down to my goal weight but then got a new job and now my priorities have changed. I am now going to be working with behaviourally challenging children and as a result need to put on a few pounds and develop muscle in order to keep them, the other children and myself safe. I am joining a gym on thursday and will talk to the trainers there for their opinions on how I can develop my strength but any suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated. I am only 111lbs so I am under no illusions that I will not become like Arnie but I have no desire to be muscle women just stronger and fitter so I can handle situations which may arise. What kind of food and exercise will I need to do to achieve this?

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Trust me, it takes A LOT of work to get big like some women do, you wont get bulky by strength training, you will get toned.
  • schnarfo
    Options
    yup i understand this due to the way males and females differ females do not develop bulky muscles plus I would only be doing light weights anyway to just gain some strength. At the moment I have no muscle or strength for that matter what so ever so I need to do something :)
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    yup i understand this due to the way males and females differ females do not develop bulky muscles plus I would only be doing light weights anyway to just gain some strength. At the moment I have no muscle or strength for that matter what so ever so I need to do something :)

You could go as heavy as you want and you'll likely only gain a little muscle. Testosterone is what makes the difference in why men can bulk up much easier.

Lifting light weights, depending on the number of reps, probably isn't going to build any strength. Don't be afraid to go heavier as a women. Just be careful and use good form.
  • schnarfo
    Options

You could go as heavy as you want and you'll likely only gain a little muscle. Testosterone is what makes the difference in why men can bulk up much easier.

Lifting light weights, depending on the number of reps, probably isn't going to build any strength. Don't be afraid to go heavier as a women. Just be careful and use good form.

thanks :) testosterone was what i meant by girls not being able to build muscle like blokes can. I have limited knowledge on this subject so thanks for the reply. ill see what the trainer says regarding gaining strength
  • lmgarcia
    lmgarcia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been doing CrossFit training since April and my strength has increased drastically. I am extremely happy with my training and I'm loyal to it for life. CrossFit works on strength, conditioning, stamina, flexibility, endurance, performance and other areas.

I would suggest to get specific strength and conditioning training, whether crossfit or not, to get you started. Dead-lifts, running, Olympic weightlifting, pull ups, knees to elbows, and such. get a good trainer that is updated, not the old fashion ones putting you in a treadmill for an hour and lifting 5 lbs pink dumbbells. JMHO

id you want more info on this, i can share some with you.

cheers

lmg
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    BODY PUMP! :laugh: Schnarfo, you know I love it!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I do body bar classes and also strength train regularly....my body fat has decreased alot and my strength has increased greatly. You may not end up more muscular as such,but you will build enough strength to be more effcient at your job :)
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    BODY PUMP! :laugh: Schnarfo, you know I love it!

100% agree with this!!!

I used to be addicted to Body Pump (sadly since we bought a house I had to change from my lovely swanky gym to the local leisure centre so I no longer have access to the class! :sad: Boo hoo!) it really helps increase your strength in a really short space of time.