Reading recommendations

Options
Hi everyone,

In the spirit of 'knowledge is power', I am looking for recommendations for books, radio shows, podcasts, youtube channels, upcoming webinars from people you've listened to before, all that sort of thing, that help motivate you in your journey towards better health. The 'moodboard' approach doesn't seem to do much for me (I never get around to looking at it), but I enjoy journaling, and taking notes as I read or listen to things, so any suggestions of good options are very welcome. They don't have to be specifically health or food or fitness related - just anything that you find keeps you working towards your goals.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It's a little bit of an eccentric choice, maybe, but I love "Hidden Brain", which is available as a podcast. These two episodes were particularly interesting to me in the context of weight management and fitness:

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/reframing-your-reality-part-1/
    https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/reframing-your-reality-part-2/

Part 2 kind of blew my mind.

There's a lot of self-improvement content in that whole series that is very science-based.

I like visual journaling, which is still a self-created book kind of thing, but it includes mixed-media visual content as well as words. For those attracted to playing with art supplies, there are lots of resources online about visual journaling/art journaling. Personally, I don't love the "art journaling" term, because it feels a little intimidating. The point isn't to create "great art", for me at least . . . the point is free self-expressiveness that doesn't really need to have an objectively "good" end product. It's about the process. I don't need to show my journals to anyone, unless I want to.
  • tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It’s not health specific, but I read the book Atomic Habits recently and loved it!

I think small daily habits are a great way to set yourself up for a healthy lifestyle, and the book does a great job of breaking down the steps of building habits and setting yourself up to succeed.
  • foldinthecheese
    foldinthecheese Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    Matthew Mcconaughey's University of Houston commencement speech is my favorite. I've listened to it probably 20 times. If you want some additional insight into his 13 "truths" his book is also fantastic, though I'm not sure I'd classify the book itself as "motivational" necessarily.

It's not about health specifically, but really - you can make it about whatever your goals are, including being healthier.

For slightly more "instructional" I liked the book The Power of Habit - I think that's what it's called.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    & Angela Lansbury's Positive Moves: My Personal Plan for Fitness and Well-Being
    Angela Lansbury, Mimi

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7icznIxLc&pp=ygUecG9zaXRpdmUgbW92ZXMgYW5nZWxhIGxhbnNidXJ5
  • tolkienite
    Options
    Thank you everyone, these all look really interesting!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Ten Percent Happier podcast.
    Dan Harris is such a master journalist, his crispy voice kind of belies someone who is so committed to getting a bit better.

His guest list is astounding. I am about to listen to his latest episode...I am a regular listener. Today is "An anecdote to autopilot"

For you, just to grab bag a highlight....mmmm...about six months ago he had a short 'fitness' series and I really liked his interview with Cara Lai.
    https://www.tenpercent.com/tph/podcast-episode/cara-lai-612
    It’s an urgent question for so many of us: Can we exercise, can we take care of our bodies, without being driven by shame, self-loathing, or noxious comparison to other people?

Our guest today has a unique perspective on this. Cara Lai is a former social worker and psychotherapist who is now a Buddhist teacher. She also used to be a marathoner. But in the last few years, her body has undergone some radical changes, leading her to some hard-won, fascinating, and deeply useful insights about how to strike the balance between taking care of your body and staying sane.

In this episode we talk about:Practices for that moment when you’re getting out of the shower, see yourself in the mirror, and engage in a festival of self-judgment The surprising things that happened when Cara was forced to stop exercising A counterintuitive mindfulness practice suggestion for those with exercise routinesWhen and why you should purposely do things you know are bad for you Why we often resist ‘ being in our bodies,’ why that’s OK, and how to lower the bar on this contemplative cliché–without giving it up A body-related Buddhist practice she finds to be totally not useful

Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/tph/podcast-episode/cara-lai-612
  • tolkienite
    Options
    Thank you, this sounds really interesting.