Weight Loss Shot -- anyone tried it?

Options
I have been approved online because of my morbid obesity, etc for the weight loss shot (weekly). They have a few options they suggest (Ozempic, Wegovy, Saxenda, Rybelsus, etc).

Has anyone used these with any success?

I am pre-diabetic and have high cholesterol (slightly) -- so they said it could also help with those. I have a weight problem (about 50+ pounds to lose) and eating problems (overeating, binging, never feeling full, etc)

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Until you address the root of your issue all the shots in the world won’t help
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Plenty of studies are showing that you’ll gain back at least 2/3 of what you lose on a shot rapidly once you stop taking it. Address the root issue, which is eating more calories than you burn each day.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Way too many people are having issues with this shot. My pastors wife was on this shot and was sick for a couple weeks. Her docs couldn't figure out why. Her daughter suggested that the sickness started shortly after she started taking Ozempic. Her husband agreed that it might be the cause. So she stopped taking the shot to see what happened and was back in church the next Sunday. Every shot or pill you take means more chances of negative side effects. With a calorie deficit and possibly a little more activity you should be able to bring down your weight and help control your blood sugar. I had high cholesterol, a fasting blood sugar of 113, and kidney issues steming from Covid. I also was 217 and my proper weight is 159 or less for a 5'7" female. I lost 70 pounds bringing my weight down to 149, correcting my blood sugar, cholesterol and kidneys (temporary hit from Covid). It took me about a year and a half but I was on again off again with the diet. Ate 1200 calories daily (that was my eating plan...yours might be different). Tried to limit carbs, sodium, and eat more of a Dash or Mediterranean diet. I didn't exercise much at all other than some walks occasionally and gardening do to chronic pain issues...at least until my weight was close to normal BMI. There is a Youtube channel called Beat Diabetes that can actually teach you to use your glucose monitor as a weight loss tool. Weight gain happens primarily because your blood sugar levels are more often then not, higher then they should be. Insulin resistance kicks in. If you can learn to lower you blood sugar using your meter and monitor closely, you can reduce your weight and learn a lot more about your specific body... easy more then a temporary shot will teach you! If you don't have a monitor, please don't wait for a doc to prescribe you one. Walmart has a compact monitor called Relion. It's fairly cheap and the strips are cheap also compared to most other tests strips. Those are what I use and my doc didn't even prescribe them. As it is, I'm now 30 weeks pregnant and just took my gestational diabetes test and passed with flying colors. You can do this without shots or pills. Stay consistent, log your progress, take in at least 64 ounces of water a day....get a 30 minute walk in 3-5 times a week. Find what calorie intake allows you to lose weekly and what foods your blood sugar doesn't spike with. Dont expect this to cure over night. Your health will take months to balance itself out but you'll start feeling the impact (higher energy, less pain) within a week or two. I know it sounds like a lot but you can do this if I can!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, without addressing the root cause of your weight issues these drugs will not do any good unless you're willing to be on them for life and accept any consequences that go with that.

Also, I would go to in person to a medical provider to discuss and monitor the use of a drug like this.
  • nls46
    nls46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do what is right for you. This is a tool not a cure. Not everyone gets sick, not everyone gains weight once they stop, it’s not wrong to accept assistance as long as the end goal is achieved which is to be healthy. Sometimes the “all you have to do” crew can be loud and bias. I spoke with my doctor and got a game plan. I am changing my eating habits and exercising while taking Wegovy. Everything is going well. I have loss weight(a little over 2 pounds a week so normal). The biggest change has been the lowered food noise. I’m not just thinking about food all the time. I’m not obsessing over food and macros as much as I used to. My days aren’t consumed with meal planning. Dieting is no longer a personality. Again this is MY story, yours may be different but either way I wish you nothing but good vibes and good luck!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    nls46 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to do what is right for you. This is a tool not a cure. Not everyone gets sick, not everyone gains weight once they stop, it’s not wrong to accept assistance as long as the end goal is achieved which is to be healthy. Sometimes the “all you have to do” crew can be loud and bias. I spoke with my doctor and got a game plan. I am changing my eating habits and exercising while taking Wegovy. Everything is going well. I have loss weight(a little over 2 pounds a week so normal). The biggest change has been the lowered food noise. I’m not just thinking about food all the time. I’m not obsessing over food and macros as much as I used to. My days aren’t consumed with meal planning. Dieting is no longer a personality. Again this is MY story, yours may be different but either way I wish you nothing but good vibes and good luck!!

This was me when I took Phen/Fen in the 90's. When Fenfluramine was removed from the market, Phentermine alone didn't have the same effect, I stopped taking it, and gained the weight back.

Now I wonder if my heart palpitations were caused by either Phen or Fen.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nls46 wrote: »

Now I wonder if my heart palpitations were caused by either Phen or Fen.
    that stuff is really bad for your heart and yes, palpitations are one side effect.