Answers

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    it’s now reserved for premium members
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Because scanning is now available only in premium MFP - change was announced and began implementing some time ago now.

If you pay for premium MFP, you can scan. If you want it to be free, that's not an option.

• CrystalOcean
    CrystalOcean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really sad to see how this once great app changed so much.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    Really sad to see how this once great app changed so much.

It's still a great app. There are so many tools here to help each and every one of us achieve our goals. The feature to scan a barcode still exists, but it's no longer offered as a free service. Think for ten minutes about all of the resources that are at your fingertips without asking for a quarter. That quarter would more than pay the daily cost for an annual subscription if there are features on the paid portion of the service that you would like to use. I go back and forth on the paid service. I do very much like the barcode scanner, and I was sad when it went to paid only. You also eliminate annoying advertisements. I only realize how much I like that when I go off premium and they come back.

If you don't find the free service a value for what you pay for it, you don't have to keep using it. There is at least one other free service. I tried it for a while, and it's not as friendly or featured as the free MFP service. There's another service that I haven't tried that charges $70 per month - almost ten times what MFP asks for their paid service.

I'm sticking with it because it works. I lost weight and am keeping it off with the help of MFP.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    Personally, I found the scanning feature to be rather shite. I've been on this app while living in 4 countries, and in all of them most of the results were in cups or servings rather than grams, the wrong supermarket/producer with different calories, or completely different products. Seriously, I totally loved the chocolate I'd frequently eat that logged as watermelon.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    @yirara

I have found that even if a food defaults to a volume measure rather than a mass measure, I can change that unit to grams. If not, I can look on the food label and it lists how many grams in ths volume-based serving.

I really do like the barcode scanner. It saves me time, although some things are just flat wrong. It's funny sometimes. Trader Joe's seems to reuse barcodes if they discontinue a food and bring on a new one. I've had something like, oh, I don't know, let's just say a box of crackers come up as being chocolate sauce or frozen bao.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. In Europe, volume measures are just not a thing. Nutritional info is always given by 100g, and depending on shop or country in addition by serving. A serving then is one bar of a multi pack chocolate bar pack, or half a 400g tin of soup and not totally crazy things that I sometimes see here.