I Cant lose weight

2»

Replies

• Zachor717
    Zachor717 Posts: 9 Member
    Perhaps some words of encouragement? From your data you may be overtraining and risking puting yourself into starvation mode - which will shut down most everything. Also, increased muscle mass has weight associated with it. You may have lost bodyfat while simultaneously added muscle mass. Added muscle mass can lead to attainment of your goals. Finally, attempt to not look too closely at things. relax, and perhaps attempt to attain more than weight loss and achieve a healthy sustainable life. Much good health to you.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,864 Member
    @Zachor717

The idea of a body going into "starvation mode" and somehow not burning fuel is common and also incorrect. It would be the equivalent of your car getting better fuel economy when it was almost empty compared to when it was full. Most of the calories you burn daily go to keeping you alive, and your brain is the biggest user of fuel. If you're not familiar with it, read about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Maclolm Gladwell did an episode on his podcast "Revisionist History" about it.

It is possible that if a body is underfueled, some movements that we aren't even aware of might slow down, like foot tapping and the like. That would reduce our caloric expenditure, but doesn't alter our metabolism.

Adding muscle mass does indeed affect our total mass as shown on the scale. It's a slow process. Gaining any appreciable mass from muscle growth wouldn't show up quickly, and it would be hindered if a person was in a caloric deficit. I had to look up what the 75 hard day challenge is, and it incorporates 90 minutes of working out each day. A person eating 1400 to 1500 calories per day while working out for 90 minutes would almost certainly be in a deficit, so no - the issue isn't muscle mass.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    OP, try setting your settings to sedentary and adding your workouts - and take calories burned with a grain of salt, because i've never seen a calorie counter that was exactly right as they're all averages.

starvation mode isn't an actual thing. when i was a teenager and didn't know any better, i ate 600 to 800 calories per day, and you know what? i lost a lot of weight - including muscle, no doubt - very fast. i didn't go into "starvation mode" and stop losing weight at any point.

the only way that the OP isn't losing weight is that they're not eating at a deficit. it's basic biology.
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Hormones, thyroid, and adrenal glands play a HUGE role. Sometimes when the body goes too hard or does too many HIIT style workouts it can lead to too much cortisol in the body (stress hormone that leads to weight gain). If you already have a lot of stress in daily life AND you’re stressing your body out via intense workouts it can backfire and burn your adrenal glands out which also affects your thyroid.

Underlying inflammation is also a biggie. Not sure if you experience other daily symptoms at all but gut imbalance could lead to that extra stress and retained water as well.

Just thought I’d bring a different perspective to the convo as we always jump to calories as the blame!

I’m a dietitian and deal with a lot of this :) again, just trying to give a different potential root cause!
  • Jules230730
    Jules230730 Posts: 1 Member
    megansaw wrote: »
    I am in at least a 1000 calorie deficit a days, im doing the 75 hard day challenge so im working out twice a day, im three weeks and have lost no weight, in fact ive gained 2 pounds. What is going on.

I want to cry im working so hard!

Hi Megan, this may sound counterintuitive at first, but have you tried upping your calories? And working with a smaller calorie deficit?
    Are you doing mostly cardio or weight training?
    Twice a day sounds like a lot of stress on your body- have you considered working out only 3 times a week, but doing high resistance training? For the protein to work with you, you also need to grow your muscles, lift heavy.
    For the weight gain you noticed: does your scales tell you whether this is muscle growth? Or fat?
    Your body might be stressed out and retaining...perhaps you could try upping your food with protein and cards to a small calorie deficit ans reduce training but switch to heavy weight training? Good luck!!!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,507 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Hormones, thyroid, and adrenal glands play a HUGE role. Sometimes when the body goes too hard or does too many HIIT style workouts it can lead to too much cortisol in the body (stress hormone that leads to weight gain). If you already have a lot of stress in daily life AND you’re stressing your body out via intense workouts it can backfire and burn your adrenal glands out which also affects your thyroid.

Underlying inflammation is also a biggie. Not sure if you experience other daily symptoms at all but gut imbalance could lead to that extra stress and retained water as well.

Just thought I’d bring a different perspective to the convo as we always jump to calories as the blame!

I’m a dietitian and deal with a lot of this :) again, just trying to give a different potential root cause!

I would've just ignored this, except that you claim to be a dietitian, so I'm going to call it out, because as such, you are hypothetically giving real people this advice. None of this is true nor based in scientific evidence. You can't "burn your adrenals out". That's not a thing. It's not how it works. Furthermore, hormones would not be in your scope of practice, as you are (assumedly) not an endocrinologist.

Completely agree - adrenals don’t burn out and giving endocrinology advice when not medically trained in that field is irresponsible and downright dangerous. Why does this wind me up? I had a dopamine secreting pheochromocytoma which *kitten* up my body for years. Yet you know what? That little sucker of an adrenal gland was still going for it, pumping out hormones like it was supposed to. Just massively in excess in my case.

OP: you are exercising v hard, which can definitely lead to water weight gain. But you may also (unintentionally) not be recording your food intake accurately. Set up MFP, pick a less aggressive rate of loss, and log as accurately as you can. Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint - and trust me, it’s easier that way.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,732 Member
    @ddsb1111 Fantastic post! I hope OP and whomever else is feeling the same way reads all the info you provided. Very helpful. And congrats on your success!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,864 Member
    @ddsb1111

Thank you for sharing that. It's an inspiring story of success after a struggle. It's not always easy, but it often can at least be easier. We are so fortunate that MFP is so easy to use and such a powerful tool. Back when people had to look up calories in a book and use a pencil to do the math, I bet there was even more failure than there is now.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,121 Member
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 850 Member
    wz5ex5qsrnva.gif
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    @ddsb1111
    That really is a outstanding reply! The kind of first person account of what does and what doesn't work that can help a lot of folks that find themselves in the same scenario as the OP's. Since the question pops up every few days, I hope you'll repost it when it does.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 850 Member
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    @ddsb1111
    That really is a outstanding reply! The kind of first person account of what does and what doesn't work that can help a lot of folks that find themselves in the same scenario as the OP's. Since the question pops up every few days, I hope you'll repost it when it does.

Thank you ☺️ Just paying it forward.