weights killing my hands glove no help

Options
I got awful calluses from the weight bar, so I bought a pair of gloves. They seem to fit but after only 2 uses it gave me blisters just below the calluses, then one broke. I have been using waterproof medical tape to be able to lift so far, but that leaves an awful residue that does not like to come off without nail polish remover and scrubbing.
I know many others must have this same problem, so any ideas?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This is pretty obvious, but maybe try different gloves. After two uses, gloves should not break.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Calluses are a part of lifting. Even with gloves you will still have calluses. Wear them like a badge of honour you are among the badasses :)
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Calluses are a part of lifting. Even with gloves you will still have calluses. Wear them like a badge of honour you are among the badasses :)

:drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I found this video really useful.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

how you hold the bar can prevent your skin from bunching up in a way that causes calluses to build up
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

how you hold the bar can prevent your skin from bunching up in a way that causes calluses to build up
    This is really interesting. I've always had calluses, but never blisters like the OP.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

This is really interesting. I've always had calluses, but never blisters like the OP.

Using a grip like this, I still get small calluses, but not big mahoosive ones that get ripped off (although I've not been lifting properly that long so I might not be the best case study).... the main thing I've noticed though is that this grip feels a whole lot more comfortable for the hands. The first way he demonstrated, with the bar in the middle of the hands, I can feel the skin bunching up and getting squashed.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone get massive callouses in the middle of their hands. I have callouses too, but they are I guess relatively small, they are all right below my fingers at the top of the palm..is this where they "should be"?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love my callouses.

The only think I use are chalk and lifting straps.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link, I did watch it and will check my grip next time.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Moving your grip closer to your fingers can help a lot with pulling types of movements (deadlift, chin-ups). You will still get callouses, just not as bad.

Generally you will want to avoid gloves because they add diameter to the bar (making it actually harder to grip) and don't really protect you from callouses anyway.

And really what I was thinking was "what's wrong with callouses?" When you are moving around metal bars with weights attached, you are going to want them, right?