Calorie deficit

Options
andrewkkilpatrick
andrewkkilpatrick Posts: 1 Member
edited January 24 in Getting Started
Does anyone else stick to a calorie deficit Mon-Fri then at the weekend eat what they want? (within reason).

Answers

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat whatever I want all week - just make it fit the calories / macros I need to hit 🤷‍♂️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sometimes I eat under goal, sometimes I eat right near goal (most common), sometimes I eat over goal, and on the rare occasion I eat waaay over goal. And I own that. It's not "cheating", it's a decision. Sometimes it's a bad decision, other times it's worth it.

When I was losing, and for the first few months in maintenance, I logged every single day. Now, in almost year 8 of maintaining, I sometimes skip logging if I'm extra busy, or if I've eaten something that would be wild guess and hard to estimate. (I watch the body weight scale, though.)

I can't speak for you, but if I went off the leash for two days a week, I could easily eat enough to wipe out my calorie deficit for the whole week, and therefore not lose weight. (That's probably not eating "within reason", but who knows?)

If you're logging on the weekend, looking at your average daily calories for the week, and you're still in a deficit on average, you'll still lose weight. If you're not logging the weekends, eventually you'll find out the impact via the scale.

I do wonder if you're over-restricting during the week? Are you putting some foods totally off limits until the weekend, then looking at eating those foods (maybe still in calorie-appropriate amounts) as "cheating". If so, cheating whom, and how?

It makes me worried that you may be thinking of weight loss as a project with an end date, after which things will go back to normal. I hope not, because that's the standard recipe for long-term weight yo-yos. Yo-yo is the least healthy option, health-wise worse (statistically speaking) than just staying a little overweight.

During loss, I thought about experimenting and finding happy eating and activity habits I could live with forever that generally kept me in a sensible calorie range and reasonably well-nourished, then practiced those habits until they ran almost on autopilot. That's really helped me maintain a healthy weight, and the quality of life benefits of that are huge. I don't think everyone needs to go all through weight loss that way, but IMO it's a good idea to devote a few months to that habit-finding process before reaching goal weight.

Maybe cheating on the weekends is a good long-term pattern for you. If so, that's great. It wouldn't be good for me. Nowadays, I do calorie bank (eat a very small amount under maintenance calories most days), so that I can fit in some more indulgent eating now and then. That works for me.

Best wishes!

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else stick to a calorie deficit Mon-Fri then at the weekend eat what they want? (within reason).

Yes… you can choose to track weekly calories this way. When I was actively losing weight.. I had 5 days a week in moderate deficit and 2 days a week in minor deficit. Just tabulate your weekly calories.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I think if you posed the question as "stick to a calorie deficit Mon-Fri then at the weekend eat at maintenance" you'd get different answers.

"Eat what you want on the weekends" sounds like trouble, even with the "within reason" disclaimer.

Over the years, I've seen a number of people post that they bank calories during the week so that they can eat more on weekends.
  • TotallyJustin
    TotallyJustin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. That's a terrible strategy. Weekends of indulgence will destroy any progress you've made, and it's simply just self-sabotage.

Maintaining a calorie deficit should be your default diet, not some weekday chore, and your question shows that you're currently looking at it that way, and ultimately avoiding the causing factor of being overweight, which is likely your addiction to food and eating, perhaps in turn to cope with other things. Stop thinking of it as a diet, it's a lifestyle.

Binging on weekends will set you back massively. Why work all week to follow specific goals, just to lose all that work at the weekend?

You need more discipline in your life if you want to get anywhere.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No. My forever-way-of-eating includes weekends. It is what and how I need (and want) to eat daily. I do adjust the amount as my activity level fluctuates from week to week.
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I track foods and eat at a deficit M-F and spend weekends practicing the way I want to live when the weight is gone, which involves selective modest indulgence coupled with practice at restraint.