Brine Your Chicken

Options
nigeypiggy
nigeypiggy Posts: 21 Member
If you like me have to cook for more than yourself and keep an eye on your food nutrition values, it's important not to live on bland food to satisfy that requirement. Many foodstuffs can be improved by changing how they are prepared. For example, use a brine for your whole chicken for a regular Sunday roast. You will never go back to bog standard roast chicken ever again. Good brines can be found on the net. Easy peezy lemon squeezy to do.

Replies

• Motownmadmann2023
    Motownmadmann2023 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    But isnt Brine just a sodium bath for the food. or so you use a low sodium brine if so can you share the recipe
  • JamesMason9223
    JamesMason9223 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt overnight marinades are a good option as well. It's a common technique for many middle eastern and indian dishes, you can add herbs and spices to it for flavor since the yogurt won't really have any, but the yogurt tenderizes the meat very well. And then you grill or roast the meat as you would normally.
  • nigeypiggy
    Options
    But isnt Brine just a sodium bath for the food. or so you use a low sodium brine if so can you share the recipe

Hi there! I use Kosher salt or Himalayan salt, (Some people prefer using it instead of other varieties of salt, like table salt because it's less refined and usually doesn't contain additives like anti-clumping or anti-caking agents. Since it isn't fortified with iodine and doesn't contain any trace minerals, many also prefer its pure flavour and lack of aftertaste)(sourced from Google) So if you are highlighting a concern or an opinion I would like to agree with your point.

However, I would like to mention that my recipe is not just a sodium bath. The combination of honey, herbs, and fruit contributes greatly to the overall flavor and taste of the dish. So, if you are a food lover who enjoys experimenting with different flavours and tastes, find a recipe which may be perfect for you.

That being said, if you usually have a low-sodium diet, then you should be cautious about this recipe as it may increase your sodium intake. But don't worry, the amount of sodium in this meal is negligible when compared to your overall weekly intake. So, if you are looking for a delicious and healthy meal option, this method of preparation can still be a great choice for you.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people,here, soaking chicken in buttermilk before frying it. Maybe, there's a healthier version of that.

I have an aversion to cooking raw meat, so my method is to throw it in the crockpot while touching it as little as possible, adding broth, and some seasoning and veggies.
  • nigeypiggy
    Options
    I assume wearing gloves does not lesson or remove the anxiety you get. Try to assume touching raw meat is like touching your own skin do both at the same time as much as you can bear to do it. Or become a vegetarian 😆
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    😅 I think I'll stick to my drop in method, haha.