Do you turn off Apple Watch calorie adjustment?

Options
henrysr07
henrysr07 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So far, I always leave it on, but it becomes discouraging, not getting any credit for daily activities, like shopping and doing whatever, without it officially being an exercise. and even when it’s an official exercise, it deducts a lot of my hard earned calories that I burned.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    In the abstract, always or frequently getting negative adjustments implies that the MFP activity level is set higher than actual activity as seen by the tracker. What is your MFP activity level setting (in your profile), and what led you to choose that setting?

If the tracker is sending correct data to MFP, and negative adjustments are turned off in the scenario where the activity level setting is higher than realistic, activity is likely to be overcounted and weight loss slowed. If the negative adjustment is accurate, but you find it discouraging, would you be OK with slowing (maybe even stopping) weight loss in order to be less discouraged? I don't mean to be harsh in asking that, just honest.

That said, there are some indications that Apple doesn't send the right data to MFP in all cases. You might take a look at how your Apple's total calorie burn for a day compares to your MFP goal for the same day. They should differ by roughly the number of calories that correlate with your requested weight loss rate in MFP, using the "500 calories per day is a pound of fat per week" approximation, unless you've requested a weight loss rate so aggressive that you're set at MFP minimum goal (1200 for women, 1500 for men).

To answer your specific question, sort of: I don't sync my fitness tracker to MFP at all. I didn't own it when I first joined MFP. When first here, I fine-tuned my calorie goal based on weight loss and calorie logging experience once I had a couple of months experiential data. I had a good handle on my calorie needs by the time I got the tracker. Good brand/model trackers will be reasonably close for most people, since they estimate based on population averages. However, I seem to be non-average in some way: My tracker and MFP both estimate my calorie needs very inaccurately, as compared with my logging/weight change experience. In that scenario, it would be a dumb idea for me to sync my tracker to MFP. I need to set my calorie goal manually based on experience. For me, that works fine.