Am I injured?

Options
Hello everyone. I have started going to the gym since September of 2023. Everything is going relatively fine, except my tricep exercises.

I cannot even do tricep extensions with 3-5kg with my right arm, while I do these with extreme ease with my left arm.

I have no pain in my right tricep, it just feels weak. It feels dead, not there.

I have noticed this difference in other exercises like incline bench press, my right arm always is at a different pace.

Is this an injury? Is this normal?

TL;DR
The tricep in my right arm is extremely weak, can't even do 3kg tricep extensions. No pain. Feels as if the tricep is dead.

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 22
    Options
    If you aren't feeling any pain or numbness, and you've never been injured there, then I would assume it's a case of poor form or simply that one arm is stronger than the other.

If it's weak form, obviously correct that form or try different exercises. If it's a weaker side, you can do unilateral exercises starting with the weaker side first, then do the stronger side to the same weight/reps as the weaker side manages. The weaker side should catch up.

You can try one arm cable pushdowns, one arm French press (overhead extension), or a two handed variation is a lying flat dumbbell skullcrusher with the same weight db in one hand, and your weaker side will dictate when you stop.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Having had a mysteriously weak result on certain exercises before that turned out to be nerve impingement, I'd strongly recommend being evaluated by a doctor. Not all problems cause pain.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 22
    Options
    You had impingement without pain or numbness?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the twist of your wrist can have a HUGE impact on apparent triceps strength. If I do pushdowns with wrists flat to the ground, I can use only a fraction of the weight I use when I do the same pushdowns with my wrists twisted at a 45 degree angle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    You had impingement without pain or numbness?

Yes. In certain exercises - dumbbell pullovers was one - I couldn't even hold onto the weight, not even a light weight. It didn't hurt, at least not significantly; I just dropped the weight. I got referred for physical therapy, which helped.