Tracking added sugar

Why doesn’t MFP separate added sugar from total sugar?? This seems like an important feature that is missing. I saw this question asked 2 years ago and they responded they could put it in an update but nothing yet…

Answers

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 823 MFP Staff
    We will definitely look into the possibility of distinguishing between sugars for a future update.

For now, one workaround is to create a new meal category such as "fruits and vegetables" to log items containing natural sugars. When the food diary is viewed on our full website, or via our iPad app, nutrients are sub-totaled on a per-meal basis, making it possible to see your total natural sugar intake by logging the relevant items in a single meal.
  • ZuzusPetals69
    ZuzusPetals69 Posts: 1 Member
    It’s been years since people have asked for the ability to differentiate between added and natural sugars. When I eat and apple with lunch and grapes with dinner, it’s annoying to see that I’m close to my sugar intake for the day! It’s not 2004 anymore - let’s get with the program MFP.
  • jjvz
    jjvz Posts: 9 Member
    I totally agree: naturally occurring sugars in milk, fruits and vegetables should be separated from added sugars in the nutrients count. I just got a note that I’m over my sugar count when 90% of that count is NOT added sugars. It’s so frustrating. If MFP is going to separate it out in ingredients, they should also separate it out in their nutrient synopsis. But like many apps, they put off complaints by saying maybe in the future (if enough people complain).
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 61 Member
    It would be so helpful. I am trying to reverse my diabetes diagnosis and I was wondering about it as well. I hope you guys change that.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,952 Member
    I would also appreciate this.
    As well as a differentiation between fructose and sucrose.
    Maybe for paid members, anyhow?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,150 Member
    edited May 2
    It would be a wonderful feature.

But I would like my wonderful MFPeops to tell me HOW they can, even manually, figure this out.

Because I can't. Neither consistently nor reliably.

Is the sugar in my yogurt natural or added? What about my bread? How much of each?

Does my frozen or dried fruit have added sugar or not?

If you can't even do this manually how can you do it programmatically?

Where on existing labels or nutritional info do we currently (2024) have the information as to how much sugar is naturally occurring and how much is added?