Greetings. 64 year old needs . . . something!

Options
I first started here in 2016 or 2017. By 2021, I was down 65 lbs--mostly a several months of losing, followed by a long (year or two) stall, then back to losing. But I felt so good at my lower weight--out of Obese 1 and "only" overweight." I was so happy. After 20+
years of being obese, I was on my way to healthy again. I was 61 years old.

Then my mom died, and I moved, and my first year at a new job was REALLY hard. I was so glad to have moved to a better climate! I was out a lot. But I had constant sinus infections and could barely run/jog, although I walked a lot and didn't give up. Finally I got prescribed a stronger antihistamine for my seasonal allergies and OMG, it was like I had been sick for 18-20 months. But I was 25 lbs up

Well, I started feeling better a year ago come March. Lots of summer activity, but lots of knee problems--going to doc in 2 weeks after giving it 6 mo to resolve itself. And I'm up another 5 lbs--30 all told since I moved. I've been so much more active but my eating habits have been terrible. And so sad I can't run. Still trying to get in 3-5 miles a day walking, though.

Anyway, I need hope, I guess. Thanks for "listening."

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It is hard to focus when you’re in pain. The fact that you have logged in and put your intentions into the world is a fantastic step in the right direction. A good thought, if you want it, is that you can really start feeling better and healthier with food choices and water even when your mobility is limited. I hope you take a minute for some brain food, hydration, and happy thoughts today :)
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this reply. I have always stuck by hydration and whatever movement I can manage--those are my "never give up" habits.

I got the shot in my knee but now the problem in the other (left) knee is so much more noticeable! But, I can jog some and the walking seems fine. The shot in the right knee seems to have worked very well.

I found a great post recommending a poster ask themselves, "What would I change, to continue this life style, if I wasn't trying to lose weight, to make my new habits sustainable?" This is really giving me a lot to think about.

I'm down 2-3 lbs from my start weight. Slow progress b/c I do great some days (under goal), not as well others (under maintenance), and fail some, too (over maintenance). But just being in the habit is an important step, I know.

I'm looking forward to a short jog this afternoon and already walked 3.5 miles today, so I'll hit my 5 mi/day goal. That always makes me feel good--both b/c of the exercise and b/c I am reaching a goal.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Hope you're doing well 💗 @mkculs13
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Hope you're doing well 💗 @mkculs13

Thank you. I am still here, still not giving up. Down 3 lbs and then stalled--but for obvious reasons. I'm having a lot of knee trouble and will get it taken care of (shot in the left knee) by March 11, so I should be back to jogging regularly after that. I got the shot in my right knee in Feb and can now tell how bad the other one is!

I really appreciate the check in. And I hope you, @Corina1143, are doing well too.