sharp pain when lifting

Options
for the past 2 days i have been getting a sharp pain in the back of my head when i do heavyish weight for several reps. like yesterday i was doing sets of 10 with 225 on deadlift. about rep 8 or so i would start to get a pain at the base of my neck/skull area. after i finished the reps it would ease up and then go away. only did it on my last 2 sets of deadlifts... then today, i was on bench and was doing 205x8 and 225x6, and on both the last rep or 2 made it happen again. nothing else the rest of the session did. i was searching the interwebs about it and saw a couple things. one was an exertion migraine, but those usually last for a while. these go away relatively fast, plus today i noticed that if i took a drink of water while it was hurting it went away quicker. so i kept searching, and found where some people have been having the same reaction due to caffeine. normally i dont take a pre-workout, but yesterday i took Mr. hyde, which is evidently loaded with caffeine, and today i mixed my creatine with a sugar free fruit drink that also has caffeine in it. its only been the past 2 days and the only thing i have changed in my entire regimen is that i added a multi vitamin. my normal daily supplements are 5mg creatine monohydrate, dymatize protein shake, b-12, and now the multi.

anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    hydrate and stop taking pre-workout stuff for a bit, and make sure you breath during your sets..(and of course correct form)
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    hydrate and stop taking pre-workout stuff for a bit, and make sure you breath during your sets..(and of course correct form)

i drink a gallon plus of water a day, and i rarely take a pre workout. yesterday was the first time in almost 2 weeks. i do need to concentrate a bit more on my breathing, and my form was fine. i havent changed anything in any of my lifts, meaning form, breathing etc.... in months. its just something that popped up yesterday. i appreciate the input and ill work on my breathing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    could be a trapped nerve in your neck, or you've pulled your traps muscle (it attaches to the back of your head, kind of like where you described)

generally any sharp pain is a sign that something's not right so it it doesn't stop from resting it's a good idea to see a doc (one who knows about sports medicine)
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    could be a trapped nerve in your neck, or you've pulled your traps muscle (it attaches to the back of your head, kind of like where you described)

generally any sharp pain is a sign that something's not right so it it doesn't stop from resting it's a good idea to see a doc (one who knows about sports medicine)

initially i had though that, but there is no lasting or other pain associated with it. if it was a nerve wouldnt it be a more constant pain, or pulled muscle would hurt when using that particular muscle. its more of a headache type pain vs a pulled muscle pain. i know what the pulled trap feels like and this is nothing like it. i had my right trap partially detatched during a car wreck in 2010. that was blinding pain and severe migraines for a couple weeks. i wouldnt wish that on anyone....
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

initially i had though that, but there is no lasting or other pain associated with it. if it was a nerve wouldnt it be a more constant pain, or pulled muscle would hurt when using that particular muscle. its more of a headache type pain vs a pulled muscle pain. i know what the pulled trap feels like and this is nothing like it. i had my right trap partially detatched during a car wreck in 2010. that was blinding pain and severe migraines for a couple weeks. i wouldnt wish that on anyone....

Nerve pain can be pretty sharp. I have nerve damage in my left arm, and when it pinches, it comes and goes quite quickly.