Scared of getting saggy skin :(

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Interesting. We seem to have opposing fears. I've lost over 100 pounds and have a little bit of sagging skin, but I'm terrified of regaining my weight and having rolls of fat to contend with.

I much prefer being fit, confident, wearing normal sized clothes, having energy, being healthy and having some loose skin to contend with.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm in your position and I could care less about the skin.

No time like the present to stop letting how your body looks or may look or will never look rule your life.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm a morbidly obease gal weighing in over 300lbs and I want to lose weight and be healthier. I've started walking alot (been advised not to try running til I loose a bit as it will damage my joints) and I'm eating much better, cutting down the calories and fat, trying to learn the delcate balance between good and bad foods, fats, salts and sugars, etc...

the thing that puts me off the most is saggy skin, I'm terrorfied of it! so much so, it puts me off loosing weight.

can anyone give me advise (especially those who have been in my position) on how not to get saggy skin???
    You're in denial, plain and simple.
    Right now, today, you look terrible (and so do I).
    You could be the Fat Lady in a circus. Seriously.
    So. You have months, probably a year or two, before you have to worry about this skin issue, which you are, let's be frank, way more concerned about than the damage your obesity is currently doing to your heart, liver, kidneys and lungs. Oh, yes, and back, knees and hips. Arms? Can you raise them over your head without panting? I doubt it.

Please try to face your issue honestly rather than deflecting it to some down-the-road imagined scenario.

All the best to you.

Harsh much? I am all about honesty, but geez....how do you know if she can raise her arms over her head without panting?

I get how the OP feels. It's a legit concern. I for one will be happier to have saggy skin then 200 lbs extra.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Health issues aside, does anyone think that being of average/healthy weight but with saggy skin is aesthetically worse than being morbidly obese?
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm a morbidly obease gal weighing in over 300lbs and I want to lose weight and be healthier. I've started walking alot (been advised not to try running til I loose a bit as it will damage my joints) and I'm eating much better, cutting down the calories and fat, trying to learn the delcate balance between good and bad foods, fats, salts and sugars, etc...

the thing that puts me off the most is saggy skin, I'm terrorfied of it! so much so, it puts me off loosing weight.

can anyone give me advise (especially those who have been in my position) on how not to get saggy skin???
    So. You have months, probably a year or two, before you have to worry about this skin issue, which you are, let's be frank, way more concerned about than the damage your obesity is currently doing to your heart, liver, kidneys and lungs. Oh, yes, and back, knees and hips. Arms? Can you raise them over your head without panting? I doubt it.

Please try to face your issue honestly rather than deflecting it to some down-the-road imagined scenario.

All the best to you.

Harsh much? I am all about honesty, but geez....how do you know if she can raise her arms over her head without panting?

I get how the OP feels. It's a legit concern. I for one will be happier to have saggy skin then 200 lbs extra.
    I know because I 've been there. If my comment offended you, I apologize. How great that you're "all about honesty", however.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    The best thing you can do is strength training. My friend lost about 130lbs and when she was done her stomach was saggy. Not very saggy, but obviously it was noticeable to her. She took up an intense strength training regime and there's nothing there now except the tiniest crinkle on her abs.
    She said she reduced her body fat and filled out the rest with muscle.
    Now I know her way wouldn't help everyone, but it definitely helped her.
    However, please allow me to be blunt, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. But would you honestly prefer to remain how you are? From a health standpoint it's bad, and I'd imagine physically you're already unhappy with the way you are. If you lose weight and exercise you'll improv the quality of your life dramatically, with or without sag.
    I can't tell you whether you'll have loose skin or not, it comes down to genetics and how fast you drop the weight. But it's a worthwhile risk imo.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im just going to be honest. Would you rather stay where you are today or be healthy with a little saggy skin? If you exercise throughout your journey, the sag should be at a minimum. You may have some just like I may have some when I reach my goal but being healthy is WAY more important to me than if I have some saggy skin that I can get taken care of later if I feel I need to! DONT let that put you off from trying to lose!! Your health is way more important than what your skin looks like! Just like it is for me, if we are not ALIVE, it wont matter what our SKIN looks like!!!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 yrs old and have lost 85 pounds and am only starting to see sag.

So why don't you drop 80 pounds and then choose if you liked losing the weight and want to continue; or if you want to stop so you don't get saggy. Can you even imagine being on a roll like that; and then deciding "gee, I think I'll stop now." You will be feeling so good losing the weight, you'll be thrilled to keep going!

By the way, remember to get at least 80gm of protein a day (protein shakes, quest bars, Injury, etc.) to get enough nutrition - it'll help you stay on plan, feel satisfied, have energy, and reduce cravings.

Instead of undergarments, sports clothing is designed to hold you in place as you exercise and I suspect they keep things from sagging as you shrink. (But I do like Genie bras. Sorry if TMI...)
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lifting will help a great deal!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

All the best to you.

Holy body shaming, Batman! You should really speak more kindly to yourself, and definitely more kindly to others. I'm sorry, there's honesty and then there's rudeness. Maybe it's just me, but the more I love myself and my "fat circus lady" body, the better I take care of it.

OP: I get your fear! I have no idea where I'll end up in the skin department, but all the advice you've gotten so far has been the consensus among my friends as well. And I hate to agree with the quoted poster, but you can't let a hypothetical stop you from achieving your goals. Embrace the terrifying future! It'll be an adventure! :D

(And seriously, surgery is terrifying! I may say now that I'd never ever get surgery, but who knows.)
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was 380 pounds and am now 200 pounds. I would recommend eating well, lots of good fats,resistance work, getting enough sleep, staying hydrated. While I do have excess skin it is nowhere near as bad as you would expect.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight quite quickly as I had surgery and yes I have saggy skin. Its not that great but looks no worse than I did before when it was full of fat. I actually look pretty good in clothes, I can wear leggings and short dresses with pride and comfort!! Unclothed,,,, well I am not that happy with how I look and to prevent the need for further surgery I moisturise, body brush, drink loads of water and excercise like mad. I want to do what I can do to make my body as good as it can be. I have worked to lose the weight now I am working to improve the condition of my body and skin.

If I still have saggy skin....well it is a daily reminder of how far I have come and how I will do all I can not to go back there. My health is sooooo improved that a cosmetic issue for me is just that.

I used to get very sore at my biggest....I used to have to lift my stomach to clean under it. Now it happens but not as often if I keep and eye on it and am careful when it is very hot or after excercising.

Oh and as for my personal life......my saggy skin doesn't bother my other half that much as we are closer than ever and just got engaged!!!
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options

All the best to you.

Rude.
  • krich_son1
    krich_son1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi OP I have lost about 102 kilos or approx 220 pounds if my conversion is right. I still have about 40 kilos to go. I have saggy upper arms, saggy inner things and a saggy tummy. I am doing weight training and am seeing definate improvements in all these areas.

Don't let fear of saggy skin stop you from losing weight. Weights and toning will definately help and your skin is pretty resilient.

I don't moisturise my skin or do anything special otherwise. I am more concerned by the fact my wrinkles seem more noticeable now that i have lost weight than my saggy skin lol.

Good luck on your weightloss journey.
  • jstegmaier
    Options
    I have lost 212 pounds to date and will be having the skin removal surgery early next year. I think when you have that much to lose, it is bound to happen. My insurance is picking up the cost of having my abdomen done because I am having breakdown of skin. The underarms are purely cosmetic and I will be having that done, but at my expense.

Good luck on your journey! Don't let this fear stop you :0)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

All the best to you.

I know because I 've been there. If my comment offended you, I apologize. How great that you're "all about honesty", however.

Being honest doesn't give one license to be rude, offensive, or presumptuous. Just because you have "been there" doesn't mean the OP has been where you are.
  • Bekarington
    Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personally, I actually find the idea of saggy skin repulsive, yet I don't think bigger women are that unattractive to a point. I prefer my body to be curvy, firm and youthful rather than saggy and jiggly BUT... my concerns are more around the idea of sweaty folds of skin, spots and painful sores.

BTW - I personally can happily lift my arms above my head, ok, I may break a sweat if I walk 3k (which I do a few times a week) but I'm hardly bedridden. I also, actually carry my weight quite well, most people have no idea how much I weigh or my dress size and a usually surprised when I tell them.

I am loosing weight because I want to be able to wear nicer/cheaper clothes, cos it costs a bloody fortune to dress a uk size 26/8 in nice clothes, and that's if you can find em! I want to have children one day, but currently the NHS would struggle with my size and I want to be able to fly without worrying about the size of my seat or belt and being treated like a second class citizen by judgmental people.

Of course I will not ignore health issues, though I will point out that the medical profession is to hung up on weight as a marker for health, because its easier than assessing someones actual fitness. You can be overweight and fit, it just depends on the person, everyone is different.

Essentially, what I suppose I'm saying is, please do share your experiences to help others know what physically or mentally may happen to me, but please don't tar others with your brush, especially if your being rude about it, your hang ups are your own.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    ...I used to have to lift my stomach to clean under it. Now it happens but not as often if I keep and eye on it and am careful when it is very hot or after exercising.
    I have a similar situation to Jennielou's.

There seem to be fewer sweaty folds of skin as I've lost weight. Maybe because the folds have shrunk up. I remember it having been a serious issue, and now I just make sure to clean thoroughly and don't notice it much.

And I deliberately wear firm undergarments to fight the effects of gravity; hoping the weight can come off and the skin shrink without being stretched by age and gravitational forces.

Because of your youth, your skin's elasticity will help it shrink as you lose weight. Should work out great for you. You seem to have a nice self-image. Best wishes!
  • melissaondesko
    melissaondesko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady weight loss, of course, and begin strength training as soon as possible to build lean body mass. You won't get bulky muscles, I promise you, and you will boost your metabolism and have better support under your skin. Don't wait to "lose the weight" before you strength train, do it now!