Chair yoga , exercise over 60

Options
Hi ,
Any recommendations for chair exercises for over 60’s . YouTube just a mind field of so many. With music be good . Up beat rather than yoga . Thanks guys

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Silver Sneakers, which is reputable, has a YouTube channel, and there are various types of chair exercises there. I'm not sure how upbeat they are: I've done other Silver Sneakers things, but not chair exercises.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    To be honest, unless there is some medical issue it's better to keep away from mainly seated exercises or transition away from them as soon as able. No core or balance work involved sitting in a chair. Both of these elements are critical as we age.

Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    To be honest, unless there is some medical issue it's better to keep away from mainly seated exercises or transition away from them as soon as able. No core or balance work involved sitting in a chair. Both of these elements are critical as we age.

Good luck.

True dat. Happily, that Silver Sneakers YouTube channel also has some useful videos for improving balance and such that would help transition past chair exercise . . . assuming OP does not have a permanent physical limitation that prevents other than chair exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I saw an item on a news programme a while ago about fall accidents with broken hips and the likes increasing over the past many years. Doctors and physiotherapists interviewed said that people nowadays sit too much on their *kitten* and basically don't have the necessary (core)strength and ability to balance anymore compared to the past where elder people worked or at least were busy until a very high age.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sit to Be Fit and Chair Dancing are brands that have been around a long time. There are whole series of DVDs (and YouTube) for these.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not what you asked for but worth considering: https://youtube.com/@GreySteel

Also this is a great (but short) documentary: https://youtu.be/OwnwcoMhtqg