Gluten Free/Heart Healthy

Options
Smith_Lady
Smith_Lady Posts: 10 Member
I'm looking for dinner ideas. Hubby needs gluten free, and I need heart healthy. I need some recipes that would suit each of our diets. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    For GF, American Test Kitchens (ATK) has two great GF cookbooks, volumes 1 and 2. You’d have to look them over for appropriateness for heart concerns, though.
  • spicecat111
    spicecat111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've recently got into barley, heart healthy and gluten free (and good for lowering cholesterol) at first I just added it to soups, but recently I've had it with Dahl, with veg and eggs and spices as an egg fried rice, and with lean meat and veg and taco spices. I'm going to try it in a kedgeree next . So anywhere you would use rice, barley works . The big bonus is it's really filling, I find I need less than when I just had basmati rice
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    @spicecat111 I’m guessing you may be gluten-free for health wellness, rather than being gluten intolerant, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that barley has gluten.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,209 Member
    Options
    I also like to use barley in my rotation. I made some with French green lentils a week or so ago. I use a hull-less variety called "Streaker." I like how it's chewy. It has more fiber than brown rice. It's just plain tasty.

Barley is NOT gluten free. Rice is gluten free. Oats are gluten free. Have you tried using oat groats if gluten is a concern? I'm assuming it's a choice since you're eating barley and it's not making you sick.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I've recently got into barley, heart healthy and gluten free (and good for lowering cholesterol) at first I just added it to soups, but recently I've had it with Dahl, with veg and eggs and spices as an egg fried rice, and with lean meat and veg and taco spices. I'm going to try it in a kedgeree next . So anywhere you would use rice, barley works . The big bonus is it's really filling, I find I need less than when I just had basmati rice

Barley is. Not. Gluten. Free.
  • Smith_Lady
    Options

We wouldn't be able to use the barley, because of the glute. BUT we could use the rice with veggies and other spices. The egg I would have to be careful with due to cholesterol
  • Smith_Lady
    Options
    For GF, American Test Kitchens (ATK) has two great GF cookbooks, volumes 1 and 2. You’d have to look them over for appropriateness for heart concerns, though.

I'll look for it in my library, thank you
  • Smith_Lady
    edited February 4
    Options
    @spicecat111 I’m guessing you may be gluten-free for health wellness, rather than being gluten intolerant, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that barley has gluten.

Thank you! Hubby was diagnosed as celiac, so I purged the kitchen. He really liked barley too, so it was an adjustment.
  • Smith_Lady
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I also like to use barley in my rotation. I made some with French green lentils a week or so ago. I use a hull-less variety called "Streaker." I like how it's chewy. It has more fiber than brown rice. It's just plain tasty.

Barley is NOT gluten free. Rice is gluten free. Oats are gluten free. Have you tried using oat groats if gluten is a concern? I'm assuming it's a choice since you're eating barley and it's not making you sick.

We don't use barley at all, since hubby was told to omit it. We keep rice, beans, and oats in the house. Our kitchen is dedicated to his gluten free needs. We cook from scratch so we know what's in our food.
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    My son is celiac and I have a congenital heart condition.
    We eat lots and lots of vegetables and lots and lots of fish; then cheese (once a week, for heart), eggs (ditto) and poultry (ditto); and, along with gluten free bread, we accompany plates with rice of every kind (basmati, for instance), mais or buckwheat or legumes "polenta", tortillas (mais), gluten free pasta (it's made of rice, or mais, or both, or legumes etc) (all these grains, if you use whole it's safer for heart). Soy also is a great option, both for celiac and heart; and legumes, they are very very useful also for proteins and for low glucose in blood. We also have two fruits a day.
    But really, don't worry: we had problems at the begininning (more than 10 years ago) because the celiac products were few and very expensive, but since 5 or 6 years you find literally everything (for instance, we have also pizza every week, both bought or made from scratch, vegetables pies made with bought gluten free puff pastry or "pasta matta" made from scratch - a sort of salty short pastry, etc). For bread, I bought a bread machine, it's great (some olives, and bread is wow!).
    PS: yes, barley is prohibited for celiac!
    Ops: Sorry, when I wrote "along with bread" I obviously intended that we use or bread or rice or polenta etc, not both in the same meal...
  • Smith_Lady
    Options
    Sett2023 wrote: »
    My son is celiac and I have a congenital heart condition.
    We eat lots and lots of vegetables and lots and lots of fish; then cheese (once a week, for heart), eggs (ditto) and poultry (ditto); and, along with gluten free bread, we accompany plates with rice of every kind (basmati, for instance), mais or buckwheat or legumes "polenta", tortillas (mais), gluten free pasta (it's made of rice, or mais, or both, or legumes etc) (all these grains, if you use whole it's safer for heart). Soy also is a great option, both for celiac and heart; and legumes, they are very very useful also for proteins and for low glucose in blood. We also have two fruits a day.
    But really, don't worry: we had problems at the begininning (more than 10 years ago) because the celiac products were few and very expensive, but since 5 or 6 years you find literally everything (for instance, we have also pizza every week, both bought or made from scratch, vegetables pies made with bought gluten free puff pastry or "pasta matta" made from scratch - a sort of salty short pastry, etc). For bread, I bought a bread machine, it's great (some olives, and bread is wow!).
    PS: yes, barley is prohibited for celiac!
    Ops: Sorry, when I wrote "along with bread" I obviously intended that we use or bread or rice or polenta etc, not both in the same meal...

It's been a learning experience. It's been nearly a year and I feel we've done well. I've always been a huge baker. That seems to be where I'm still learning. I've gone nearly mywhole life baking homemade multiple times a week (breads, muffins, etc) Now I'm trying to get down the humidity, the measurements, textures... but I'm staying on track to ensure we have a GF home.
  • spicecat111
    spicecat111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Oops! I'm not gluten free at all :) in my head I was thinking barley is like oats (which are generally gluten free) my bad ! Like oats they have beta glucagon in, but I had assumed also gluten free. Mea culpa!