IF Intermittent Fasting

Options
I've lost 14 pounds using IF. This comes after months of being stuck at a specific weight. I'm using fasting from noon to noon, two / three days a week and I feel great. I've come to look forward to my fast times. My high impact workouts haven't suffered at all. Is anyone else having success with this method?

Replies

• JustMeee333
    Options
    There are 2 types of IF... one being the 24hrs fasting, the other being eating your meals between specific time periods everyday, which is the one I do. Usually between 10am-6pm, I find it works for me so far, I'd try the 24hr fast too if I came to a plateau.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF (16:8) for about 2 years. It wasn't much about the results for me but more about a way of eating that was much more simple. I never was a breakfast person and I love eating 2 big meals instead of multiple meals throughout the day.

At the end of the day, it's calories in vs calories out, your body doesn't care when you eat
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am on my 4th week of 5:2 and so far I really like it. I fast (500 cals/day spread over 2 meals 12 hrs apart) 2 days per week. I basically follow the 5:2 diet book. As far as weight loss, I dropped like 4-5 lbs the 1st week, but have been at the same weight since then- but my losses are like that- I "stall" for 2-3 weeks then drop a bunch at once. I have decided not to weigh again until Oct 1, so we will see where I stand then. I am hoping to be at goal by the end of the year...if anyone wants to add me, feel free!

P.S. I had blood work done last week and it came back perfect. No more diabetes for me. I have not suffered health wise by fasting.

-Kendra
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd month of 14:10, and I love it only because it has allowed me to eat the huge dinner and dessert I crave every night, which means I am more likely to stick to my daily calorie goal than before when I would eat more even if I didn't have the room for it. Basically, meal timing became significant for diet adherence, and since I am now adhering to my diet, I have had success. Yay!
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying IF- for those that do the 5:2, how do you handle the low days? Is it hard to adjust to it? And do you make up the day after the fast day with a bit more calories? I'm very curious about this. The 8 hour diet intrigues me too but the only way that would make sense for me is to 11-7 and I just don't know that I could handle missing breakfast. Curious to hear others opinions!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    IF is my all-time favorite way to lose weight. I tried it with an impressive amount of success for a couple of months over the winter. Now that I think on it, I'm not sure why I stopped doing it. I did the "fasting for 24 hours" kind 2 days a week. Once I got used to it, I didn't find it difficult at all.

I think I'm going to start again tomorrow. LOL.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8 mostly, sometimes smaller/bigger windows. I'm not trying to lose weight and attempting recomp. I see changes in the mirror -vs- the scale.
  • mmccance123
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying IF- for those that do the 5:2, how do you handle the low days? Is it hard to adjust to it? And do you make up the day after the fast day with a bit more calories? I'm very curious about this. The 8 hour diet intrigues me too but the only way that would make sense for me is to 11-7 and I just don't know that I could handle missing breakfast. Curious to hear others opinions!

I used to be a little afraid of fasting, too, until I got inspired to try it out. When I did, I was flabbergasted at how easy it is to do. I learned that I don't feel deprived at all and actually feel physically better when I fast than when I'm eating. Who knew?

I use Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" program, and I often recommend the Michael Mosley's BBC documentary called "Eat, Fast & Live Longer" ( http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms ) -- for motivation.

Hope that helps!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I coordinate it with my work days (I work in healthcare- 12 hr shifts). I find it much easier to handle when I'm busy at work all day.