Side pain from walking

Options
This is an odd thing. I'm new again to exercise. I've worked my way up to a mile3-4 times a week. I'm used to my legs, knees, and ankles hurting. But my torso….particularly my side is hurting. It is all post exercise…..next morning or so. I assume this is a body mechanics kind of issue. Maybe from swinging my arms? I feel like a wimp asking about this. But what might I be doing wrong for my torso to hurt? What can I try to make it easier on my body?

Replies

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Knowing a few more points of info. would help. Height, weight, age and current state of health.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS from doing too much too quickly. Or maybe chafing?
  • im7mommy
    im7mommy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid 50s, 5’6”, 250, I have asthma and Hashimoto’s and other than the weight am healthy. I just had my yearly physical and I don't have any other issues. It's definitely not chafing. I am at my highest weight, but have never had this problem before. It behaves somewhat like a muscle spasm. I haven't added in anything else yet.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch after you walk?

I can imagine that if you're new, you might be tight. Doing exercise and then just stopping can lead to stiffness. Do you have good shoes?

It's a long shot, because this is usually more a precursor to knee pain, but is your stride too long (i.e., does taking shorter steps help)?

Are you very overweight? Could it be bruising from parts of you smashing into other parts?

I hope you figure it out; walking is fantastic exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Can you describe the pain more specifically? (I apologize in advance for the number of questions, but I'm not saying you have to answer them all in detail, just trying to give an idea of the kind of thing that might be relevant.)

Is it your whole torso all the way around but especially your side? (If one side, dominant side or other side?)

Does it extend the whole length of the torso such as from underarms to top of pelvic bone, or is it more situated along a more horizontal band at a particular level (even with certain ribs, elbow or hand level, top of pelvis, whatever)?

Does it stab, ache, burn, feel constant or change with movement, etc.? Does it seem like a "sore muscle" kind of feeling, assuming you've had sore muscles in other places before?

Does it feel like it's in the layer of muscles under the skin, or inside the body cavity, or . . . ?

Did you notice it as soon as you started walking regularly, or did it kick in once you reached a certain volume or frequency?

How long does it last?

Have you gotten new shoes or started wearing different ones recently?

Are you carrying anything when you walk, like a water bottle, purse or backpack? Is your clothing constricting in some way in the region where the pain occurs?

Is it especially cold or hot where you are now?

I admit, I don't have a theory, but the brief general description isn't helping me come up with one. Certain kinds of chest discomfort can be caused by hyperventilating, though I wouldn't expect that to be a delayed effect. (When I've had that, it was upper chest, and kind of a sharp point.) I can imagine certain kinds of breathing patterns stressing the diaphragm muscles, and intercostal muscles (between ribs) can be surprisingly touchy sometimes with unusual movement (maybe even hard breathing). Cold air can irritate. New shoes might change your body mechanics, ditto for carrying something or having compressive clothing, etc.

If you don't feel like being more detailed in your description, that's OK.

I hope it improves for you, regardless!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You mentioned swinging your arms, OP.

Last summer I got back into inline skating after more than 20 years off. The first couple of times, my traps felt like they had a hell of a workout, no doubt from the way I was tensing my upper body while moving from side to side. After that, non issue, I guess I relaxed more. So I wonder if it's something similar with yourself, the way your posture is, causing more work for some muscles than normal hence the DOMS.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like a posture issue. Have you had previous injuries? Are you stretching before and after?

Don't let it stop you! Just get back in balance, even if it means a trip to a sports therapist. :flowerforyou:
  • im7mommy
    Options
    I don't know if you all are medically knowledgable, but I have torsion in my legs so my normal stance is out toeing for my knees to be straight ahead to if my feet point straight, my knees turn inwards. So I walk out-toeing as that is comfortable. I tend to have tight Achilles. The tightness makes sense since this is a common issue for me. Especially since I notice this most later on when I'm cold and shivering as I'm tense then. And I was cold walking so very likely too tense then, but it has been nice. It is my right side. I'm sore for a few days plus added sharp pain that's sudden during certain movements. I think torso turn. I don't carry anything, though water would be good. I'll try stretching more.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    there is likely nothing for you to be concerned about, unless it persists

if you told me you were super active and all of a sudden you're having this pain, I'd say...hmmm...see a doc

someone who hasn't been exercising and now has discomfort, especially a 50 something year old...my thoughts are....yup....you aren't as young as you used to be, give it some time, and give your poor body some time to catch up....you don't heal as fast now, you don't build muscle as easily, and if you are 'new' to exercising you probably just need good nutrition, lots of hydration, and a couple of months to convince your body, this is how it is now, get with the program
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    [quote="im7mommy;c-47918553"...my normal stance is out toeing for my knees to be straight ahead to if my feet point straight, my knees turn inwards. So I walk out-toeing as that is comfortable. [/quote]

Have you seen a podiatrist? You might be able to have insoles made that will cant your feet inward and move the knee to a more straight position. I had chondromalacia as a teen, and I wore insoles that helped. They are for sure not cheap. The doctor takes a mold of your foot so the insole will match, and then they use cork to change your angle. They take a while to get used to, and they will "ruin" your shoes where they impact the insoles. You won't want to wear those shoes without the insoles after you've worn them a while. They are uncomfortable at first, but eventually you get used to them.

This may or may not help your situation, but it can't hurt to ask.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    im7mommy wrote: »
    I don't know if you all are medically knowledgable, but I have torsion in my legs so my normal stance is out toeing for my knees to be straight ahead to if my feet point straight, my knees turn inwards. So I walk out-toeing as that is comfortable. I tend to have tight Achilles. The tightness makes sense since this is a common issue for me. Especially since I notice this most later on when I'm cold and shivering as I'm tense then. And I was cold walking so very likely too tense then, but it has been nice. It is my right side. I'm sore for a few days plus added sharp pain that's sudden during certain movements. I think torso turn. I don't carry anything, though water would be good. I'll try stretching more.

I'm not medically knowledgeable. I like @mtaratoot's suggestion to see a podiatrist, if you haven't.

If you think it's tension-related, I wonder if a heating pad right after the walk might help, maybe an Epsom salt bath or a magnesium topical spray/cream, perhaps ice later? If you think it's more inflammation/overuse kind of pain, ice right after the walk could be better.

I'm absolutely not a medical expert, but that's what I'd try if it were me (ice or heat, OTC topicals), while waiting to see a podiatrist.
  • im7mommy
    Options
    I saw a podiatrist as a teen due to pain and my parents didn't like how I walked. He told us he couldn't do anything as the issue is in my femur, knee and/or tibia. He insisted I would be fine until I was older so my parents did not take it further. It seems genetic as my daughter has it as well. I took her to an orthopedist at 2 and he totally blew us off. I feel badly that I didn't seek a second opinion. She has had much more pain than I have.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do you have gym access? I’d say maybe do an elliptical or a recumbent bike workout. See if the pain walking is currently causing persists. Even sticking to slow walking will be better than nothing at all. Being older you may be experiencing issues that weren’t so evident as a younger person. I’ll say I know I have now pains and injuries can happen a lot quicker and can take longer to recover from.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    Do you have gym access? I’d say maybe do an elliptical or a recumbent bike workout. See if the pain walking is currently causing persists. Even sticking to slow walking will be better than nothing at all. Being older you may be experiencing issues that weren’t so evident as a younger person. I’ll say I know I have now pains and injuries can happen a lot quicker and can take longer to recover from.

This is a great idea. Besides being a different movement, a bike and elliptical will force your body into a straighter alignment if you position your feet properly (i.e., not askance.) That will help with any muscle issues.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @cmriverside

If the issue is structural, the machines might not fix the knee alignment. The issue, I think, is that the feet don't point the same direction as the knees. When @im7mommy points her feet forward, her knees point in. Pronating the feet (rolling them just a bit so the soles point slightly in) can change that alignment, which is why the orthotics can help. A podiatrist can have them built with the right angle for an individual. I don't know if that's a solution for @im7mommy or not. If so, and if finances allow, they can be a game changer. They were for me all those years ago. I don't need them anymore!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I can't argue with your experience, mtaratoot.

I do think that a machine could be helpful though. I mean, yeah, at some point she'll need to address the foot thing, one way or another.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    My husband toes out, and it affected his knees, but otherwise he had no issues with walking and backpacking long distance. We just joke about his duck feet.

For your side pain, it might help to pay attention to your form: walk tall, with a straight back and make sure your arms are not swinging in front of your body as you move. Then do some exercises to strengthen your core. A lot of runners start hunching forward as they get tired during a long run or race. It stresses the back and can throw your balance off. When I started running I got side pain when I went too fast (i.e. down hills) because my posture changed. It went away as I got stronger.