Overcoming laziness

Options
Looking for some insight please.
I'm currently at 329lb but for the best part of the last decade, I've been at least over 250lb. I remember initially gaining weight and finding myself feeling way more lazy. To the point where I was being pulled up at work over it. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have to be honest with myself.
Nowadays I'm the same but worse. I have gained a fair bit of weight in the past 5 years or so. But what I'm really struggling with is just this overwhelming sense of 'i can't be bothered'. I know it's a terrible character trait but no matter how much I push myself I seem to fall back into this infuriating habit. If it wasn't for my kids, I think I'd be significantly worse, as they are the only motivation I feel I really have. I often feel like every physical activity is exhausting and doing physical exercise is something I sadly really hate, no matter how much I do it. My husband is very active - doing 20-30k steps daily - I'm lucky if I do a fraction of that.
I've contemplated mental health issues - my daughter is type 1 diabetic so it's sometimes hard when things are not going to so great, and I have anxiety in general, but I really really want to change. I have been struggling for years to do so.

My question is - did anyone feel this way when they were very overweight, and did your energy levels increase with weight loss?
Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I agree that it could be depression. Having a chronically ill child is no joke, and being overweight saps energy in the best of us. Good news/bad news, you can pull yourself out of this but only you can do it.

When I was overweight I felt the same way. I didn't go the route of antidepressants (been there, got the crappy tee shirt,) but I found that a half hour walk worked wonders and had the added benefits of suppressing my hunger and lifting my mood while helping me lose weight.

I know you've heard the phrase, "Put on your own oxygen mask first." If I don't practice daily self-care in some way I'm no use to others and I can get into negative self talk.

I hope you feel better. Every action I took toward taking care of myself, eating nutritious food, getting a little exercise, and creating a healthy body was worth it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited February 1
    Options
    Hello! I can imagine how much I would weight if I was caring for a sick child. Some things quickly.

--does it feel to me, an internet stranger, that it would be a great idea for you discuss depression with a real doctor? Yes, you should!

--does one gain energy during the process of losing weight because you're losing weight? You betcha! Tons. If you balance correctly between too little and too much of a deficit but that's truly is another story for later. For now, YES you gain energy.

--do you have to exercise to lose weight? No you don't. Even keeping up with half of your hubby's activities is activity enough for most. Not that you're not allowed or encouraged to exercise or do more. But it's not necessary.

--take care of yourself!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,588 Member
    Options
    I’d like a HURRAH button on this thing for @Kiwi2mfp

Congrats!!!!!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,588 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    Nckr66 wrote: »
    …I am essentially carrying a whole separate person so I guess that would take it's toll.
    ☺️

OMG. THIS!!!!!!

I lost 40% of my weight. Your darned tootin’ right it takes its toll. How can I not feel like I have more energy when I’m no longer carrying a small adult on my back?

I would like to karma this over to you and your daughter somehow. Wish this was a thing. *sigh*

There’s so many simple things you can do to make changes without them even noticing. Margarine is half the calories of butter. I can cut either in half or even by 2/3 in most recipes and no one knows the difference.

I brown meat in a very hot, dry pan. It tastes just fine and no oils necessary. Need oil? Invest in a Misto olive oil sprayer. I just used 1 gram on my afternoon popcorn to make my truffle salt stick, versus the half tablespoon margarine I usually use.

Homemade fries, sprayed with four or five grams olive oil in an air fryer taste as good or better than fast food.

Our Ninja Creami ice cream maker is a joy. Husband (also on MFP) and I split an oversized pint of homemade ice cream every night. 100-150 calories apiece- and that includes a dollop of spray whipped cream.

Diet sodas for sugar. Soda water with a strip of orange rind. Fancy Starbucks-looking coffees we make at home for well under 50 calories for a giant cup.

Start by logging a “normal” day and then start making small changes. Where can I cut back? How can I make this lower calorie? Is there a way to adjust the recipe, my cooking style, or both to make it healthier.

Encourage her to go on walks with you. Make it a mother/daughter or a family habit.

I’m older and retired. No joke. When my neighbors found out I was trying to exercise more they walked me in shifts like a dog. Turns out, they were overjoyed to have company on their walks.
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    Looking for some insight please.

My question is - did anyone feel this way when they were very overweight, and did your energy levels increase with weight loss?
    Thank you.

Yes, to answer that question.

You're the only one who will know when you are ready. We're all different. I was watching a guy on Youtube who was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and STILL didn't take the necessary steps to save himself, and he himself couldn't answer the question why not. You'd think that situation would have been rock bottom for him, but it wasn't, and he's not the only one out there like that.

You want to change, and that's good, plus you mention your daughter as a motivation, so you definitely have a reason to make changes. I am ONLY speaking for myself here, but I had to visualize the end goal and make myself start the process while realizing that results would be slow at first and the whole process would be long. Willpower wasn't the answer (because willpower flags), but self discipline. Also, celebrating every little success to really prove to myself that it was working.

I hope you find what gets you going...best of luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone, this gives me hope.

I appreciate the candor. I absolutely do need to be inspirational and a good role model for my daughter/S. Admittedly I took her diagnosis very hard and it does creep back up on me. I have spoken to a doctor about anxiety and depression but other than a couple years on a waiting list and meds that didn't do anything for me, I haven't made much progress.
    I don't want to have a pity party, however.

I haven't given up yet and that's what matters. Can't tell you how hopeful your stories make me. I really am grateful for those sharing your experiences. The idea of having a lot more energy is really exciting, as I do think it holds me back quite a bit. But I am essentially carrying a whole separate person so I guess that would take it's toll.
    ☺️

Over the decades, I have tried literally over a dozen different antidepressants, and the only one that works for me (and does not have unacceptable side effects) is Wellbutrin. It's also a little speedy, which really helps me be more active. Unlike many antidepressants, it is not associated with appetite increase.

The other thing that helps is creating habits and just doing it.

Here's a great article on why we shouldn't wait for motivation: https://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I’d like a HURRAH button on this thing for @Kiwi2mfp

Congrats!!!!!!!

Thank you! That is very sweet of you to say. I am sorry that it took so long to reply, just saw this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Most obese people feel "lazy" to workout because they've been working out by carrying the extra 100+lbs around all day. When I get an obese client, I DON'T put them through a crazy workout or even a general one that many of my clients do.
    I just have them do some balance walking, dynamic movements to help stretch out muscles they seldom use, and some light arm work.
    Weight loss is entirely going to depend on your caloric intake and not so much how much you burn in a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • schoolnurselm
    schoolnurselm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is key to losing or gaining weight. You can sit on the couch and lose weight. It’s possible. I don’t go to a gym, I don’t use any exercise equipment. I log my food intake without a food scale, I cut out wine, and I meet my calorie goal for the day. It works! Too many people give up because they think they need to weigh food and knock themselves out with exercise. Lifestyle is a choice, what you eat and drink is a choice. It’s pretty basic stuff. Of course, activity tolerance improves when a person isn’t overweight. Again, pretty basic stuff. Best of luck to anyone trying to lose weight. It’s a real commitment to eat and drink less than a person is accustomed to and some days are easier than others. My motivation is the number on the scale every morning, but that’s a controversial subject as well. You do you.