Intermittent fasting

Options
Have you tried intermittent fasting?
I’m on my third month and had some good results the first few weeks, but I’m finding it very hard to stay focused on the diet. I tend to eat the wrong foods during the time I’m off the fast. Thoughts?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    edited February 1
    Options
    Ken_Roper wrote: »
    Have you tried intermittent fasting?
    I’m on my third month and had some good results the first few weeks, but I’m finding it very hard to stay focused on the diet. I tend to eat the wrong foods during the time I’m off the fast. Thoughts?

For a while it worked really well for me. Eventually something changed and I started eating anything and everything nonstop during my "eating window" I stopped and got back into a regular eating pattern, which works better for me.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who proves that IF isn't required for weight loss success, so if you're worried that you HAVE to fast to lose weight, then I'm a data point in the other direction. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of posts from MFPers who utilize IF for weight loss and maintenance. They might pop in here and give some tips on ways you might be able to adapt IF to fit your needs better.

I think that most people who have found long term success have had a willingness to accept that it takes some time and intentionality to find what works for them. I personally think it's better to have a mentality of "new lifestyle that I will live even after I have achieved my weight/health goals" than "things I'll do to lose weight". That has caused me to avoid/eliminate some diet and exercise options that I can't see myself sustaining long term. Intermittent Fasting is one of those. I have been known to skip or delay breakfast on occasion, but IF doesn't seem to be a lifestyle that works well for me and since the one I've settled into is working, I don't feel any need to put more energy into making IF work.

I'm curious about your statement that you "eat the wrong foods during the time I'm off the fast". Are you planning your meals and finding that you end up eating unplanned foods because of cravings? Are you not planning meals and eating "intuitively" but finding that you are not getting the mix of macro and micro nutrients you want? Are you planning your meals but finding you eat more of them than you had planned?

Also curious about what you think is different now vs the first few weeks when you were successful?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    IF has to do with WHEN not WHAT you eat

You could start your eating window with some easy to digest quick acting carbs. Dates, apples, boiled potatoes, sugar even.... even if you're trying to eat at a deficit. The idea is that by doing so and waiting for a few more minutes for MOAR FOODZ you may have managed to blunt your hunger a bit.

I don't IF, not really, other than .. from time to time to help control calories

But if it leaves you eating the kitchen sink either it doesn't suit you, or you could try different timings, but my personal look see would be to look at what kind of deficit (over deficit) I had created by my timing
  • Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think I am acting impulsively when the fast ends. I need to be more focused. I have a weak spot for some carbs and I also don't seem to be able to forego diet soda.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Never did IF and I lost 31lbs. So I don't really think it's necessary and I don't think I could do it either... lol
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I think I am acting impulsively when the fast ends. I need to be more focused. I have a weak spot for some carbs and I also don't seem to be able to forego diet soda.

Why do you think you need to avoid diet soda?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

If you are not diabetic/insulin resistant, can moderate those carbs, and can fit them in your calorie goal while still getting enough protein, fats, and other nutrients . . . it's not necessary to avoid eating carbs. Carb intake can change scale weight through shifting water retention, but it's calories that will directly determine fat loss. I eat hundreds of carb grams every day, lost weight fine, maintain that loss fine (for 7+ years so far).

I don't understand about the diet soda, either. Some people are concerned about some of the ingredients in some diet sodas, and some people find they have a complex effect on appetite/cravings, but quite a few people drink them during weight loss and find them helpful. (I don't drink them because I think they taste yucky. I have nothing against them in theory.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited February 2
    Options

Some people chose to forego diet soda because they believe that the artificial sweeteners generate responses or pose risks they are not willing to take. From a caloric standpoint and fat loss perspective it is the equivalent to fizzy water--and thus of no consequence.

I believe you use IF in the sense of "eating windows during the day" as opposed to using it in the sense of "alternate day fasting". My personal experience is that sometimes it has been a tool I've been able to use. And sometimes it doesn't seem to work for me. And certainly never really worked for more than a few months.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/fasting-may-change-bodys-hunger-response-heres/

It is not a universal solution similarly to various eating methods not being a universal solution. Does not mean it is not worthwhile to trying to see if it suits you. And trying to experiment further with various methods of breaking your fast.

As a minimum I, personally, would try the diet soda, apple/dates/fast acting carbs first, hunk of cheese first, or protein shake first, or something like sliced meat or high protein no carbs first, and then wait a bit (20-30 minutes) to see if any of these would blunt my hunger so as not to overeat. Or the "full meal deal immediately (as in close to OMAD)" but with the correct calories.

If I tried all these, and checked that the relative size of my deficit is not excessive and nothing worked, then I would conclude that the method would not work for me at this time.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've tried it but it wasnt for me. Too much focus on food all the time.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Although all these little diet tricks may have benefits for certain people they are not a successful long range plan unless that person can continue those things permanently.

Too many people get some weight off with these various dietary gymnastics then think “job done” and put the weight right back on when they go back to their old habits.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it's very hard to make perfect choices for months or years. whether doing IF or simply counting calories, having some potato chips or a couple slices of pizza or a couple oreos can make one feel less deprived, and even when i was eating 1200 calories per day - i'm only 5'4" - i'd slip in a half or full serving of my favorite chips. btw, i lost 100 pounds by calorie counting and getting in some cardio and light lifting.

if you make what you eat too difficult, you won't be able to sustain it forever. treat yourself - it can be done without gong over your calorie budget.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting and diet have nothing to do with each other. Just concentrate on them individually, your just confusing the situation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    I started IF back in the sixties. That is how my mother fed me.

My mom gave me food from an hour or so after the time I woke up until a couple hours before bed.

Back in the day that was known as breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Maybe a snack.

It wasn't until I was out on my own that I began to struggle with food. For me it was more about rebellion and, "I'll do what I want, eat and drink what I want!!" as far as eating anything at anytime with no thought toward what it was or what time it was.

Not until my forties when I finally got a sedentary job did that start catching up to me.

Now I'm back to three meals within nine or ten hours or so. Works fine. I don't eat half gallons of ice cream or a full baguette with a wheel of brie in one sitting anymore. That was a problem.

It's about calories.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting just sounds so much more sexy that the Skipping Breakfast diet
  • Hach8214
    Hach8214 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been doing OMAD for 15months now and this is a lifestyle change, I always fast for a minimum of 20 hours, mainly I am at 23+

What i have done is to not restrict the urge to have something you fancy, and I always fit that into my calories for the day, mine is 1200.

If you eat high protein and fat, you will stay full and content much more than if you eat high carbs, this for me leaves me feeling hungry and I then have cravings.

I don't avoid a piece of cake here and there and what helped me was to avoid added sugar, once the sugar was out of my system I was able to manage hard cravings, as they soon became manageble.

Now, I can have that odd cake, a chocolate bar and not feel I could binge.

It wasn't easy at the beginning, now it's a doddle.

Losing has slowed though, I'm at the end, however when I am down to 140lbs, 17 more to go, OMAD will be my life now.

So many health benefits, I am much more healthier now than I ever was.

Good luck