Sweet tooth.

Options
My biggest hurdle is my sweet tooth. Any suggestions for low cal low carb "sweet" food to satisfy a sweet tooth? I just can't resist chocolate when it's around.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    I found that my cravings for higher calorie, less nutritious sweets were reduced when I made it a point to increase my fruit consumption. That won't work for everyone, but I've seen other people here say that it helped them, too.

It took a little willpower at first to reduce/skip baked goods and candy, and I made it a strict rule to eat at least 3 fruit servings every day at first. In a short number of weeks, I didn't have the same cravings for baked goods and candy.

That said, I do still eat baked goods or candy sometimes, but I'm more selective, and it's not cravings-driven in the same way it used to be.

Some people here (I'm one) do include some chocolate regularly, but in small portions. Something that helps some of us is to get individually wrapped single servings of high quality chocolate and savor them slowly. Somehow, the individual wraps help some of us moderate, though I know that doesn't make sense.

With respect to any treat foods or even nutritious calorie-dense ones, it's common to find that we can moderate some things (so eat small amounts or less frequently during weight loss to stave off cravings for them), but can't moderate others (so are best off completely avoiding those, at least for a while). In fact, some people seem to be more moderators by nature, where others need to be abstainers for a wider range of calorie-dense foods. You'll soon figure out your patterns.

Best wishes!
  • breagan0615
    breagan0615 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with a few recipes. One was an avocado chocolate pudding. In food processor add 2 avocados, 3.5 tbsp of unsweetened powdered chocolate, and two to four tablesspoons of honey. I've also grated orange zest into the mix to get a really great taste. Recipe is from Gordon Ramsay.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    at lunch i had a low carb, non fat greek yogurt, vanilla flavored....blueberries, and almonds

22g of carbs, crunchy with the almonds, and sweet with both the vanilla flavored yogurt and the blueberries

change it up by nixing the blueberries and going with strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries instead

for crunch, substitute walnuts or peanuts

you could also do plain yogurt and add unsweetened cocoa and some sweetener like stevia and make it chocolatey

after mixing the yogurt, fruit, and nuts, put it in the freezer and eat it frozen with a spoon...very sweet, very satisfying
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    As with @AnnPT77 I am a staunch supporter of small doses, such as Halloween-sized minibars of chocolate. One minibar is only 25 calories, and if chewed slowly the flavor often satisfies as much as eating an entire 200-calorie bar would.

I also enjoy cinnamon, which can come in jawbreakers which force you to suck on one for a long time, and also in breath mint strips you place under your tongue for zero calories, the taste of cinnamon, and fresher breath. Score!

Sometimes a yearning for sweets also masks a simple need to keep the mouth busy. Chewing a stick of gum gets the jaw moving along with a bit of flavor.

If we want to be health-conscious, in addition to the suggested fruits, I inadvertently learned I enjoy slicing up green or red peppers into narrow strips, then crunch one at a time. Very low calories, lots of vitamins.