Are Booty Bands Overrated?

Options
KLELifts
KLELifts Posts: 5 Member
edited February 4 in Fitness and Exercise
I am postpartum with my third baby and every single postpartum workout plan I have found involves booty bands.
I think when learning to reconnect to my core, booty bands can be effective, but now I am starting to add in my own outside workouts, and I have heard a lot of controversy on whether or not booty bands are helpful. For example, I wanted to start doing Booty by Bret and he involves a lot of band work, but then I see other people on Instagram say that booty bands are useless and shouldn’t be bothered with.
I do like Bret’s style of training, but I want to make sure that I am making progress and not just spinning my wheels doing exercises if they aren’t super effective.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Useless no. Overrated, depends on what goal you're trying to achieve. If you have no butt, then they wouldn't do much but to tone up the muscle you already have. To increase glute size, you need progressive overload and while you can increase the tension by buying thicker bands, bands DON'T provide eccentric contraction which is what is needed for muscle hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KLELifts
    KLELifts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Useless no. Overrated, depends on what goal you're trying to achieve. If you have no butt, then they wouldn't do much but to tone up the muscle you already have. To increase glute size, you need progressive overload and while you can increase the tension by buying thicker bands, bands DON'T provide eccentric contraction which is what is needed for muscle hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So what if a workout looks like this? (full body):

Barbell hip thrusts
    Leg press
    Seated hamstring curl
    Shoulder press
    Neutral grip pull-down
    Bicep curls
    Booty band glute medius kickback
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    KLELifts wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So what if a workout looks like this? (full body):

Barbell hip thrusts
    Leg press
    Seated hamstring curl
    Shoulder press
    Neutral grip pull-down
    Bicep curls
    Booty band glute medius kickback
    If you're targeting glutes, I think lunges and RDL will be better than hip thrust and kickbacks.

Also, that's not full body. No chest work, no triceps.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 5
    Options
    KLELifts wrote: »
    I am postpartum with my third baby and every single postpartum workout plan I have found involves booty bands.
    I think when learning to reconnect to my core, booty bands can be effective, but now I am starting to add in my own outside workouts, and I have heard a lot of controversy on whether or not booty bands are helpful. For example, I wanted to start doing Booty by Bret and he involves a lot of band work, but then I see other people on Instagram say that booty bands are useless and shouldn’t be bothered with.
    I do like Bret’s style of training, but I want to make sure that I am making progress and not just spinning my wheels doing exercises if they aren’t super effective.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!

Bret Contreras has a PhD in Sports Science, written several books, trained high level athletes, etc. I would be pretty sure his qualifications well surpass most people you see in a short Instagram video. I prefer to listen to people with education, training and experience in a field.

If you look at Bret's information, he's a big deadlift, squats and lunges guy. The bands are just one tool in the toolbox he uses.

If you want to follow a program, you could do a lot worse than Bret's information.