Newbie’s question

Options
Hey there! I'm just starting out in the fitness world and was wondering if you could help me out. I was curious about whether or not I should take pre-workout, and I'm also looking for recommendations for some protein powders that actually taste good. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout is possibly the most over-hyped fitness myth.

If you need a little boost to ensure a good workout, some carbs and coffee an hour before will work.

As for protein powders that taste good, for me that's whichever one is on sale :-) Whether that's Optimum Nutrition Gold, Muscle Milk, Bodytech, Myprotein, etc.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Pre-workouts are just plain crap. Loaded with excessive caffeine.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Pre workout drinks are unnecessary unless you work out later in the day and need a bit of extra energy. A cup of coffee around noon should suffice, best to have some carbs in you an hour or 2 before hitting the gym.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I record every aspect of every workout: time, weight lifted, distance moved, etc. I compared my performance numbers with and without a pre-workout. Though the pre-workout got me feeling a tad more jazzed to go, my actual performance was virtually identical. For me, it's just not worth the expense.

I prefer using the premixed protein drinks, usually the Muscle Milk. (Used to exclusively use Body Fortress, but they discontinued their premixed drinks and are only powders now.) Costs more, but I like the convenience of simply throwing one into my gym bag before I leave the house, or into my lunch box if it looks like my protein for the day will be a tad light.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'd say start by focusing on getting good overall nutrition from your food, then pay attention to how you feel when working out. If you feel low energy, sure, consider caffeine or a quick carb snack (high glycemic index) before workouts. (Sometimes I eat candy before a workout if I feel low energy. ;) ) If you hope for fitness progress, especially strength/muscle development, get enough protein . . . but getting it from food is fine, maybe ideal.

If you need a protein supplement (like protein powder or bars) to fit adequate protein into your day, it's fine to use one either permanently or as a transition aid while you work on improving your food profile.

The idea that people universally and necessarily need pre-workouts or protein supplements is a trendy myth. For sure, they can be a way to fill in deficiencies, and may be useful for someone with specific and somewhat advanced fitness goals . . . but focusing on healthy eating will have a bigger payoff for most people, especially at a beginner level, IMO.