North Carolina (southern food as a special challenge)

Options

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I love NC. I can't wait to move there! We bought a house there and are currently renting it out. When we cleaned the fan-thing above the stove the grease was just dripping out. It was so gross. We live in PA now and although there is plenty of fried food here too. We only eat fried if we go out. We rarely fry anything at home and when we do we just stri fry in olive oil. We have oven fried chicken and french fries baked in the oven with a bit of oil. Tastes great and not drippin in grease. When we visit NC we eat alot of seafood - baked or broiled with some butter and it's great. I've never had chicken & walfles, but I would like to. Oh yeah when I move there...I'm going to learn how to make hush puppies.

That garbage plate looks wonderful, I might try making that at home...once!
  • comalua1
    Options
    Hi There another "Carolina Guy". Grew up thinking that all Hamburgers had cole slaw, chili, onions, and mustard on them! :drinker:

Trying to get fitter and healthier down here in the South. Trader Joe's is great and there are Panera Breads all over the place (I travel a lot)

Feel free to friend!

the order is wrong. mustard, onions, hot chili to soften the onions, slaw on top :):):)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Never been to the southeast, but one day I'll go and try real southern food. There will be no portion control then.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    @comalua1 :: does secret "carolina" handshake" - Authentic! :smile: :smile:
    Hi There another "Carolina Guy". Grew up thinking that all Hamburgers had cole slaw, chili, onions, and mustard on them! :drinker:

Trying to get fitter and healthier down here in the South. Trader Joe's is great and there are Panera Breads all over the place (I travel a lot)

Feel free to friend!

the order is wrong. mustard, onions, hot chili to soften the onions, slaw on top :):):)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Austin, TX but I'm now living in the SC upstate (near Greenville) and I have to agree that there are waaaaay less healthy choices around here than there were in Austin. That being said, if you want to lose weight I HIGHLY recommend preparing your own meals -- especially if you plan on logging your food. Even the healthier options at restaurants have large portions and there is no way for your to weigh your food, etc. Good luck in your weight loss! :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    1. Portion control at home and eating out is the key to success. Get a food scale and eat the food you want in the portion that you are allowed by calorie goals.

2. Cook at home more often, and leave out as much of the butter and other fats as you can.

3. Portion control, portion control, and more portion control. (I've said this before.) Before you eat out find out the calorie totals for various choices and when you get to the restaurant order what you like to be served with a takeout box. Divide the food at the table before you start eating. Take the rest home and eat it for subsequent meals.

4. Watch Bobby Dean's cooking show, "Not My Mama's Meals." He'll show you ways to get the flavor you love with less calories. I have no connection to the Dean family other than watching the food network and cooking channel.

BTW, I'm from the Pacific NW.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Your pains, I feel. I live right near St Louis, home of Krispy Kremes, Imo's Pizza, St Paul sammiches, Ted Drew's frozen custard and fried ravioli :smooched:
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm in TN and half my family is in NC and I know what you mean by the infamous southern food, however you have to learn how to clean it up that you still have the flavor without the calories. I find chicken to be easy to clean up as well as veggies. Once you get all the butter and salt out of your system it is so much easier, or at least it is for me. I still have my cravings, but I get creative to help the binges to not happen as often.
  • comalua1
    Options

Feel free to friend!

lol ain't skeered.

you and i both know the secret carolina handshake is one hand on the wheel, raising 4 fingers to passersby.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @comalua1 - And my cooler is filled with Cheerwine! :drinker:

Feel free to friend!

lol ain't skeered.

you and i both know the secret carolina handshake is one hand on the wheel, raising 4 fingers to passersby.
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I may not be a Carolina girl, but I am a Georgia girl. Born, breed, and raised on the classics.

Quoted: "you and i both know the secret carolina handshake is one hand on the wheel, raising 4 fingers to passersby. "

Pretty much the same as the Georgia wave:bigsmile:

I have found it to be some what true in that there isn't a lot of options sometimes. ( I live in a really small town), but I have "aggravated" a lot of cooks in restaurants by asking them to take a regular menu item and making it a bit healthier by asking for substitutions. Like instead of a grilled buttered bun, how about dry toasting it on the grill? Yes, it still will have some fats from the grill, but not as much with all that butter added. Or asking for them to hold butter, fats, or gravy on the side so I can dip my fork instead of smothering the stuff in gravy. Most of the people have been really good about altering/subbing out if I ask politely.

I have finally started a cookbook with all my favorite southern family classics that I have made healthier. Takes a bit of work but so worth it, I just can't give up my southern.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    And can somebody please say:

"Hushpuppies"!!! :smokin:
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    [you and i both know the secret carolina handshake is one hand on the wheel, raising 4 fingers to passersby.

OMG that is so true! NC girl here too

Aaaand while I did make country style steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, and beans for dinner last night, other posters were right about the great produce to be had that does not have to swim in butter to be good. Lots of "fixes" I have learned to get that down home taste without so many calories. For example, when I made my green beans last night, instead of throwing in a ham hock, i threw in a beef bullion cube. yummy!

Also: IN for hushpuppies and chicken 'n' waffles.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Eastern NC checking in. Lived here since '96, married a local guy in '03, and boy, can he cook up something! :love:

I still eat the bbq, slaw, etc., etc., but I totally exercise portion control. The hubs, however, has been threatened, LOL...He used to cook all the veggies with bacon grease, and I was like, 'Dude, NOOOO! You're killin' me here!" Strangely enough, Mr. Mouse is a very slim man, obviously blessed with a wonderful metabolism. :laugh:

Anyone who lives in my neck of the woods probably knows McCalls, and that is one of my downfalls. I save them for special occasions. :happy:

Yeah...southern food...om, nom, nom! :)

ETA: Shrimp n'Grits...That is all.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm in Virginia so not the deep south but I find I can get flavorful low carb meals anywhere I choose to eat. My husband was a chef at a 5-star restaurant and one thing I learned from him is if you don't see it the way you want it on the menu, ask. They will usually accommodate you. If we go to an Italian restaurant, I get something like chicken or veal piccata and ask for steamed vegetables in place of pasta. I love NC barbecue.
  • JumpJunkieJoe
    JumpJunkieJoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm from Charleston, S.C. and there is nothing I love more than Shrimp & Grits with a big cup of sweet tea to wash it down with. The problem is it seems like all things Southern and tasty are extremely unhealthy. I try to stick to "cheat meals". I can eat my favorite Southern Meals knowing that I worked out hard and ate healthy all week and only took one meal out of my normal meal plan. On top of that I've been working on finding healthier ways to cook and prepare my foods. All in all it's just remembering to eat in moderation. We don't have to abandon our Southern roots but we do have to limit them.
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The good news is the stytle North Carolina BBQ sauces are low calorie. And the pulled pork is high in protein, not too bad in other things. The sides always get me, so my solution is more meat.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    When I first moved to NENC from Va Beach I was in Hyde Co...know it? Yes, well. NOTHING not cooked at home that wasn't deep fried or breaded or swimming in fat of some sort. Folks that I made friends with there would get very angry with me because I wouldn't order half a fried chicken with all the trimmings...I didn't go out much, needless to say.

Now I live a bit further to the south, in an actual city :~) the food choices are more varied...but I do miss the wider variety of 'out to eat' places of Va Bch.

Of all the cities I've been to here, Wilkesboro and Winston-Salem, to me, have the best variety of restaurants, making healthier choices easier.
  • Comonemo
    Options
    Having lived in CA, AK, MN and now living just south of Raleigh, I will say I have to agree with you.... NC's love their fried foods and SWEET tea (whoah!). I am a huge believer in supporting local businesses and so tend to favor mom/pop shops, and the "under dogs", and of course, their family recipes are usually comfort foods, fried or slathered with butter....but oh so tasty! I have found quite a few restaurants throughout the Raleigh area though, that have become more health conscious with their menus. Eating out has become more of a "treat" rather than a regular weekly thing - all about portion control!

Sidenote: My first day in NC I tried a burger (and subsequently a hot dog) "Carolina style"....my life has never been the same ;)
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Actually, in the South, you can find quite a few healthy options on menus of places you wouldn't think. Take a look at Cracker Barrel's new breakfasts sometime, and believe it or not, even Waffle House (just about everywhere has Waffle House) has added some MUCH more healthy options. While the options are still there for the regular menu items, they've added omelets made from egg whites only, as well as grilled chicken options and salads.