How to deal with gym anxiety?

Options
RytaChan
RytaChan Posts: 4 Member
Hey there! I just wanted to share with you that I recently took a leap and joined a gym membership. However, I have to admit that it was more out of my intrusive thoughts at 3am rather than a well thought-out decision. The thing is, I struggle with social anxiety and going to the gym makes me feel embarrassed and insecure. I was wondering if you have any tips on how to deal with it? I really want to enjoy my gym experience without feeling overwhelmed.

Answers

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    As always, stellar advice from Ann! Definitely go and get familiar with the place first. Learn how to properly use the machines.

Have a plan, but be flexible, too. Figure out your workout, but if someone is using a certain machine when you need it, just do something else. But, GO, give it some time to become a habit and you'll probably start to look forward to it, particularly once you start making progress.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I started by using the treadmill at the gym occasionally and had my adult daughter go with me. She helped me tour the place while I was there the first time because she knew I was nervous to explore on my own.

But I was still anxious about the locker room. I really wanted to take the aquafit class but I was worried I wouldn’t remember my lock combination. Then a friend of mine suggested a programmable lock. So I finally worked up the courage (after 6 months paying dues) to go to the aquafit class. It was great.

I knew I wanted to lift weights but I didn’t know where to start. So I watched beginner videos on YouTube for machines. Then the next time I went to aquafit I went early to see if I could find one or two machines from the videos I watched. I watched the video again while at the gym explained how to adjust the machine and use it. Then I did that one machine on the lowest weight just to test how it worked. I logged my activity in the Strong App so I would remember it next time. Each time I went my goal was to find one or two other machines from the video and test them. Eventually I became more comfortable with the machines. And though I felt a bit self conscious, no one looked at me like I was crazy.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    You make good decisions at 03:00 it seems!

I was very self-conscious when I first started going to the gym as an adult. I had gone to a gym some in my teens when in high school, but it never really "clicked." I'm sure it did me some good. A couple friends and I were all there together. I just stopped. It wasn't my thing.

Fast forward to my 40s. My career no longer included rigorous field work. I was using my bike to commute, but it wasn't a long commute. I wanted something structured to keep me fit in my off-season from paddling. A local gym offered a ridiculous discount for new members, and I couldn't pass it up. If I only went for a few months, I'd break even and could just skip the rest of the 24-month membership. I eventually got comfortable being there, or at least it became a habit.

That gym closed when the landlord kept raising the rent. Another gym bought some of their equipment and honored all current memberships. It's much farther away, but I'm still going after quite a few years. I've been there so long that when I checked in the other day, someone else said, "Oh, I wish I had such a short easy-to-remember membership number."

You know what? I'm still a little self-conscious, but I also have recognized that everyone is there for the same reason. I continue to grow in my knowledge and fitness. I'm rarely ever "motivated" to go, but it's a habit. I almost always feel good when I'm done. I get to try a variety of different things, and it's good for me. It is good to face challenges, even if it's a challenge to do something socially uncomfortable. Every time you exceed your expectations, it gives you the knowledge that there's MORE that you can do that you didn't realize.

Will it be easy to get past your anxiety? Almost certainly not. Go anyway. Make it a routine. Feel better, and celebrate the results. Maybe at some point you'll notice someone else here on MFP who seems self conscious about starting a new fitness journey, and you can share your story of success.