What do you miss about alcohol?

Options
This thread may not be for everyone, but I started February with the goal of cutting out alcohol entirely indefinitely.

I didn't want to post this question in the ongoing less alcohol thread because it may not be conducive to everyone's attempts to cut back on alcohol.

We all know there are tons of benefits in decreasing alcohol.

For me, personally, my way of staying motivated in avoiding something is knowing that I'm not missing out on much. I was hoping to start a discussion of what people who have cut back on alcohol or stopped drinking miss. Basically, so I (and others) can look at this and say "I don't care about that" or "yeah, that's not that big of a deal" or even "yeah, that sucks, but drinking less is just so much better."

I haven't really been sober for long enough to know. So far the only thing I "miss" is something to look forward to when the end of the day comes. I don't even really like drinking that much so I don't know why I look forward to it, but that's my "con" so far.

Replies

• robmab
    robmab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I miss the taste of wine. I don’t really drink a lot of alcohol other than wine, but I was drinking way too much of it because I love the taste. Other than that, I don’t miss alcohol at all.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Some the the alcohol I drank had a nice taste but I stopped those because they did taste so good and went down too easily, leading to too many in too short a time and then I'd feel drunk ... which is a feeling I definitely do NOT miss and am very glad to never ever feel again.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I quit for 45 days straight in 2023 and felt amazing! Fell off the wagon at my daughters wedding.. grrr!

For the most part the pro's far outweigh the cons.

The only issue I had was in social settings with old drinking pals. They really made me feel like I was below them for not partaking in the poison. But I didn't let it get to me... :)

I am currently sober again for only 4 days.

Now that I'm 55 I am experiencing alot of joint pain. Studies have shown alcohol is a major contributor to inflammation in the body. So, I am going to abstain for at least 30 days to see if that is causing my joint pain.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    I miss the taste mostly.
    And specifically: I miss tasty drink options in festive/social settings. At many reception type settings the non alcoholic options are orange juice and Coca-Cola, dismal. In many restaurants the non alcoholic aperitifs are very limited too. Friends and family in a home setting is often similar, soft drinks or water.
    Fortunately times are changing, but I still find myself drinking water often when I'd prefer something more festive (and sometimes I drink some sparkling wine anyway).
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    I love wine but my problem is that once I drink I snack. It's not helping me any. I don't want to give up drinking all together but I want to be one of those people that only drink once in a great while. Special occasions only and that would be it. I don't know if I can do that. Not now anyways. I just have to give it up all together for the foreseeable future I think.
  • misssixtea
    misssixtea Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking alcohol 3 years ago. There are some occasions I miss it, mainly celebrations (getting married!) or as a special treat, so if I'm in those situations, I reflect carefully and if I still want the drink, I do grant myself a glass of whatever. I think if I didn't, it would feel too restrictive, and I'd go back to drinking regularly. Generally, just having a taste is enough, and I've definitely lost the taste for some alcohol (wine) which I used to drink regularly. It just doesn't taste good any more.
  • Venus_1
    Venus_1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I stoped on January 1, 2024 and so far it was going good. Had all the situations possible that would normally be an occasion/ excuse to drink. So I don’t miss something BUT! I’m not sure what to do once summer arrives. I think that summer, warm temperatures would be challenging. As well as vacation.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have only abstained for a couple days, but I miss the sleep I'd get. I don't sleep well, but if I drink a few glasses of wine I do.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    Great question! I stopped in late December, and at the moment do not miss it in any way. I had tried several times before and missed the taste and that end of day deep breath and a few other things, but this time it has finally sunk in that those things are not real. The feel-good does not last, and there are much nicer ways to take care of myself.

Sleep will get much better @LiveOnceBeHappy ! It is bumpy for a while, but really improves once you adjust.

I had a lot of help from This Naked Mind - Annie Grace's "method" really clicked for me in changing my mind.
  • StephieHockeyGirl
    StephieHockeyGirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do miss the taste of red wine. And how it would make me silly and carefree when at special events - including with people I usually did not feel comfortable around. But, those momentary positives, the next day, I would feel worse in the opposite direction. Depressed and headache etc.
    I read This Naked Mind 6 years ago and cut back quite a bit. Reading that made alcohol lose the cool factor. Also, I have a garmin watch that tracks stress/heart rate/sleep quality and any time I drank stress increased, heart rate increased and my sleep sucked and it all explained why I felt like crap the next day.
    I gave it up for good September 4th 2023. This is the longest stretch completely sober since I was 22.
    Like @misssixtea so as not to be restrictive - I will reserve the right to have a glass of wine for a very special occasion and then at that time make a decision of whether to have the glass or not.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I have not cut it out permanently, but the longer I follow the Keto/Carnivore way of eating, the less I desire it just for the sake of wanting it. I was never a heavy drinker, but now I really drink even less. I had some on Christmas day. I had some at a company function in late February. Other than that, I haven't had any. What do I miss. I guess the taste of a good whiskey. I liked that a lot. However, my desire for a drink with alcohol has gone way down.