Carbs/net carbs

Options
My dr wants me to have no more than 40g of carbs daily. I only see net carbs on here to log.. can anyone help me out on how to figure that? Tysm

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    Net carbs is a setting in the MFP premium app. Otherwise, you'll get total carbs in your diary, with a caveat.

If you have premium, and have net carbs turned on, your carbs column will contain whatever was in the food entry in the database, minus the fiber count (net carbs).

If you have premium, and want net carbs turned off, do it in the app (phone/tablet app, not web browser). You can find the setting in Diary/3 dots upper right/Diary Settings/Track Net Carbs.

If you don't have premium MFP, or that setting is turned off, you are getting total carbs, with a caveat.

The caveat: I'm inferring that you're in a country where the food labels have total carbs. In some countries, labels have net carbs. This is an international site, so the food database is a mix of entries that have net carbs in some carbs entries (entered by people in countries whose labels list net carbs as "carbs") and total carbs in some entries (entered by people in countries whose labels list total carbs). If the difference matters to you, check your food label against the information in the database so you get an entry that serves your needs.

Are you certain your doctor needs you to make that precise a distinction? The total carbs include undigestible fiber. Undigestible. This can matter, but sometimes doctors give rigid guidance but expect people will apply that advice only approximately anyway. That's why I'm asking. (Rhetorical question, I'm not saying you should answer here. :) ).

Best wishes!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options

To get total carbs .. add your net carbs plus your fiber intake = total carbs.