Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Everything should be able to be measured by weight.

Options
I have a scale in my kitchen, and I use it to get a precise indication of my caloric intake. However, too many measure with "volume" like cups. Not everything can be measured accurately that way imho. Too much empty space with larger items measuring that way. Every cup will be different.
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Find the database entries that have weight. They exist for almost everything, or you can create your own in the rare case where they don't. Use the serving-size drop down list: Quite a few of the items that have a default serving size in cups will have weights in the drop-down.

I have no difficulty weighing foods and finding entries that have weight as an option. (I also know that that doesn't give me "a precise indication of my calorie intake". Labels can be inaccurate by up to 20%. One apple is sweeter than the next. All of this stuff is estimates and approximations. It still works fine, though, because it's close enough to be effective.)

Once you find/log an item by weight, it will stay in your recent/frequent foods list as long as you use it semi-frequently, and come up first on searches. You don't have to do a bunch of searching every time.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 728 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you for this suggestion to add default serving sizes. Our team will definitely consider this for a future update!

As another alternative, please see this FAQ for more information on how to change serving sizes.