Trying something new

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is actually Angela, not SassyDoodleMom (those are my dogs' names :). I have been trying to lose weight for years and years (and, ahem, years). I lost about 40 pounds on Noom last year, and my doctor adjusted my thyroid medication because of the weight loss.

And then I lost no more weight. Sigh. And then I started to gain some back. [Sigh + bad words]. I couldn't do much about the plateau, but I am fully culpable for the choices I made out of frustration and impatience. I own those behaviors.

Historically, I tend to vacillate between overeating/not caring and becoming obsessive about every grain of rice I even THINK about eating. My new goal is to shoot for what I have dubbed MNO (mindful, not obsessive) about getting healthy. I want to make healthy choices but not fall into obsession like I usually do. So I am looking forward to this fresh start, to learning from the wise hive here, to helping others when and where I can.

I also decided to try something new and work to be part of a community instead of going it alone. Life is full of joys and meaning and humor and beauty no matter what a number on a scale tells us. But I want a healthy body that allows me to fully participate in all that joy and meaning and humor and beauty in life. That's my primary goal. Thank you.

Replies

• caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    if you've figured out a way for an obsessive person not to obsess, clue me in

i'm a little CDO (I put the letters in alphabetical order, where they belong!!)

while looking for a way to properly wash my motorcycle, i became a professional detailer and now do it as a side hustle

for me the problem isn't being obsessed or too careful...it's the fatigue that eventually results from that, and quite frankly, any obsession eventually starts to wear a person down....because the standard is often perfection, and perfection isn't realistic...or at least sustainable

so if i'm not obsessed, then does that mean i just let go of the sails and rudder and let the ship go where the wind takes me? metaphorically speaking, and relating that to food, I know where that path leads

so how does someone who tends to obsess back off and find that radical middle ground? i gotta be honest? I have no idea.....i just don't think like that

so this is how I cope

I forgive myself as often as i can remember
    i set goals and take the time to celebrate milestones
    i obsess about other things, like motorcycles, or aftermarket motorcycle parts, or road trips on the motorcycle

hope your day is great
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who is seeking a healthy balance. How do I maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes being conscious of and intentional about what I eat and how much I move without being angry when dear hubby glugs oil into the pan or stressed when a friend wants to enjoy time together that will put me in proximity of food I haven't planned for? How do I remain present with my loved ones during a food oriented event rather than worrying about how many calories are in said food?

I've spent the past month "failing" more frequently and choosing to take stock of what I have gained in knowledge, energy, and health rather than feeling the need to make up for it by tightening the reins or throw it all away. Guess what? The world hasn't ended. :) I've still managed to lose, albeit at a slower rate. But even if I hadn't, I'd want to celebrate the times I've enjoyed some additional spontaneity and the fun I've had taking up a sourdough baking hobby.

So I've been reevaluating what my negotiables are. I'm focusing more on averages rather than each day and accepting that there is a certain level of deficit/overage that I won't try to make up for. For example - I aim for 5 miles per day total steps. It's what I need to stay on track for a year long challenge. I have tried to "work ahead" when I have active days so that I don't feel as much pressure if I am sidelined due to illness or other things, but I've also recognized that there are some days where hitting 5 miles is not my priority and I don't need to add the stress of feeling the need to make up the mileage the next day either.

So I guess my main efforts are around letting go of the all or nothing mentality and recognizing that I can trust myself. I have built a lifestyle that I enjoy enough to miss it when I deviate back to the more sedentary overeating version. So a day here and there where I sit on the couch and eat more than I should is not going to take me back to where I was. It's actually proven to be a reminder of why I have made the changes I have.