Hungry hungry hipo

Options
How do I reduce hunger. Protein Protein is not working.

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,936 Member
    Options
    Protein is not the driver for everyone. Play with your macros. Fat may be your driver. Or carbs. I have heard that fiber helps to keep you full. But add it slowly, not all at once, or else you may spend too much time in the bathroom.
    A hot drink (coffee or tea) may help. Some people say potatoes are especially good for satiety. Or apples.
    Search out the old thread for volume eaters. It had some good ideas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,199 Member
    Options
    Also, how fast are you trying to lose weight?

Too-low calories is virtually a guarantee that we'll be hungry. Slow, sustainable loss can sometimes get a person to goal weight in less calendar time than an aggressively fast loss rate that results in deprivation-triggered over-eating episodes, breaks in the action, or giving up altogether because it's just too hard.

Most people will find so called "whole foods" more filling than highly-processed, refined foods. If you're eating a lot of ultra-processed foods, shifting more to lean proteins, whole grains, veggies and fruits, etc., may help you feel more full more often.

Sub-idea nutrition can also cause appetite spikes or cravings for some people.

Timing of eating can also matter. There are people here who report doing best (appetite-wise) on anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to all-day grazing on many snack-sized portions, and everything in between. If you're eating enough calories, getting good overall nutrition, and eating a large percentage whole foods, then experimenting with timing might be an option.

Also, things like over-exercise, poor sleep quality/quantity, under-hydration, or stress can affect how hungry we feel.

I'd add that the first couple of weeks of a new, lower-calorie eating routine can trigger some hunger feelings at times when we're used to eating, or when eating less than we're used to eating. That's about the body expecting certain habits to continue, loosely. Usually that effect would fade if the person sticks to the new routine, assuming the new routine is sound.

PP mentioned the volume eaters thread. It's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

Best wishes!