Find working out extremely boring, advice?

Options
Hello everyone. As the title suggests, I find working out incredibly boring and unfulfilling. I enjoy hiking and am an amateur figure skater, but my everyday life is quite sedentary due to my being an artist and student. Therefore, I’m trying to work out more. I don’t wish to sound pretentious, but I thrive off of intellectual stimulation and find it very difficult to do repetitive tasks that don’t involve thought. As an autistic person who also has ADHD, doing things that I have no interest in and that don’t stimulate my brain is extremely challenging due to differences in executive functioning that come with aforementioned neurodivergence. I also think that it would be misguided to devote so much of my life to something that I hate, and to associate health with misery. If anyone has any advice as to how to make exercise less boring, please share it! Many thanks. - Sebastian

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    As you're a creative person: What about dancing? Learning to do hiphop dancing or anything else a bit more acrobatic? You need the right strength and agility to do this. Or what about things such as climbing or parcour? Both rather creative and not as dull as walking on a threadmill. Btw, nothing wrong with walking! It's also exercise.
  • Harriet9748
    Harriet9748 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 12
    Options
    Resistance training will maintain your muscle mass while dieting. Otherwise up to a quarter of your weight loss will be muscle. Also it's challenging. Technique is everything..and there is quite a science to it. Cardio is boring. Unless you challenge yourself. For liss I read a book. Watch the net or zone out. For a challenge i walk up a fake hill..try and get my heart rate way up. Listen to loud music..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I too find indoor cardio at the gym boring, so only do it in the months where I find it too hot/humid to be outside. This time of year I bundle up and hike. Tomorrow, I will be snowshoeing. When I'm inside, I listen to music, podcasts, or audio books while exercising.

You have less options while strength training. Lifting weights is the most efficient. I recommend listening to something stimulating once you have the routine down.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy hiking, martial arts, riding my motorcycles, and HATE typical "cardio" exercises.

So, get creative - personally once I got into it, I found I loved weight lifting (but hate calisthenic type workouts). Zumba was fun and a bit more entertaining for me, and found it was something I could enjoy a couple times a week without getting bored with it. Did a bootcamp for 6 weeks once and enjoyed it, but was ready to move on afterwards. Nothing wrong with switching it up - no where does it say you need to do the same thing over and over again!

I also recently got myself a "walking pad" for under my desk - takes a little getting used to working while walking, but it has dramatically increased my step count and I'm only using it a couple hours a day at this point (generally during meetings for me, but during an online lecture or other type of activity it would totally work). It's been an easy way to up my cardio a bit without hating it - I do have to be able to shed some layers as I will get a little sweaty, but not like I'm "running" so it's bearable.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Gym cardio is like watching paint dry! lol

I just do strength training at the gym.

For cardio I go for power walks with the dog.

Win win! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I can understand that this takes some thought, analysis, problem-solving. I also think the answers will be very individual.

Generally, I prefer exercise that's technical, so there's a continuing challenge to learn more in order to improve. For me, the big one in that realm is on-water rowing, which I've been doing regularly and often for 20+ years. I used to do Chinese martial arts, which had a similar technical demand.

The other thing I like is exercise with what I'd call inherent entertainment value. That will vary individually because we're all entertained by different things, but I'd put bicycling in this category. I enjoy being outdoors, seeing the change of seasons, people watching; and I enjoy fresh air and sunshine.

We have Winter, like serious cold, ice & snow, so I can't do those things all Winter. I do indoor exercise instead. There, I use distraction.

I do machine row, and that does have quite a lot of technical content, but I also listen to something (usually information sources like NPR or podcasts, sometimes music). I can't watch TV/videos while machine rowing or my technique suffers. I also stationary bike, and in that case I either play games on my tablet, or watch video.

What you might like will depend on your tastes and interests, and that's unpredictable to me.

Resistance training will maintain your muscle mass while dieting. Otherwise up to a quarter of your weight loss will be muscle. Also it's challenging. Technique is everything..and there is quite a science to it. Cardio is boring. Unless you challenge yourself. For liss I read a book. Watch the net or zone out. For a challenge i walk up a fake hill..try and get my heart rate way up. Listen to loud music..

Boy, is that not universally true!

As an aside, it amuses me when people speak as if cardio were all one thing. There are dozens of kinds of activity that include cardiovascular challenge, and they have very widely varying characteristics. Dancing is not cross country skiing is not cycling is not swimming. Dramatically different physical (and intellectual/emotional) demands across the spectrum of cardio.

If you're bored by all of them, okey dokey. They're still not all one thing.
  • smokieriver
    smokieriver Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I used to find swimming very boring. It's good exercise. When I'd swim, I'd see that black line at the bottom of the pool and joke, "OH! Look! There's a Black Line! Oh! Look! A Line!" Over and over. It was tedious. I did it, but not that often, because it's good exercise.

I have no idea why, but at some point I realized that I could sort of "zen out" on that black line, and it became my friend. I swim with a mask and snorkel most of the time. When I put my face in the water and started swimming, anything going on above the surface was outside my little world for however long I would swim. It was an hour of just meditative movement. I began to really enjoy it. I could even focus on technique. Then when I would swim with just goggles, my technique was better, and I even enjoy THAT now.

Running is kind of the same thing. I used to be bored to tears. I ran a bit anyway to improve my fitness for a sport I played called Ultimate. It was sprinting, but doing longer runs still helped. I never ran very long distances. I remember one day thinking to myself, "Oh, I feel slow and my feet feel heavy." Something in my head clicked, and I said to myself, "NO! Your feet are light as feathers." I picked up the pace and started to actually smile. It can happen.

When I think of "working out," though, I think of strength training. I still find it kind of boring, but it doesn't take that long. I'm in and out of the workout floor in an hour. What helps me is to focus on technique and trying to be better at it. I'm not as focused on increasing weight or reps, although that is for sure a goal. I wonder if shifting your focus could help it become more suited to how your brain works. Make it more intellectual than physical. Think about all the specific muscles that are engaged and how to work towards perfecting the actual movements.

Thanks for sharing. Your post, actually your mindset, is very interesting and what I need to ...do something about my workout.

Like many, I also struggle with it, but there were a few times where I experienced that zen feeling and could keep going.

Write more about your experience if you could.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    An earlier version of Sony's waterproof MP3 player keeps me interested during longer swims: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Waterproof-dustproof-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B071NTXYNY/
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I used to find swimming very boring. It's good exercise. When I'd swim, I'd see that black line at the bottom of the pool and joke, "OH! Look! There's a Black Line! Oh! Look! A Line!" Over and over. It was tedious. I did it, but not that often, because it's good exercise.

I have no idea why, but at some point I realized that I could sort of "zen out" on that black line, and it became my friend. I swim with a mask and snorkel most of the time. When I put my face in the water and started swimming, anything going on above the surface was outside my little world for however long I would swim. It was an hour of just meditative movement. I began to really enjoy it. I could even focus on technique. Then when I would swim with just goggles, my technique was better, and I even enjoy THAT now.

Running is kind of the same thing. I used to be bored to tears. I ran a bit anyway to improve my fitness for a sport I played called Ultimate. It was sprinting, but doing longer runs still helped. I never ran very long distances. I remember one day thinking to myself, "Oh, I feel slow and my feet feel heavy." Something in my head clicked, and I said to myself, "NO! Your feet are light as feathers." I picked up the pace and started to actually smile. It can happen.

When I think of "working out," though, I think of strength training. I still find it kind of boring, but it doesn't take that long. I'm in and out of the workout floor in an hour. What helps me is to focus on technique and trying to be better at it. I'm not as focused on increasing weight or reps, although that is for sure a goal. I wonder if shifting your focus could help it become more suited to how your brain works. Make it more intellectual than physical. Think about all the specific muscles that are engaged and how to work towards perfecting the actual movements.

Thanks for sharing. Your post, actually your mindset, is very interesting and what I need to ...do something about my workout.

Like many, I also struggle with it, but there were a few times where I experienced that zen feeling and could keep going.

Write more about your experience if you could.

I'll add an anecdote from today.

I went to do a strength workout because it had been too long. I planned to skip legs since I ran the past two days. Just torso and arms. Well, I started with deadlifts anyway because I actually think they're kind of fun. I went through the rest of my routine except squats and lunges. Then, just for fun, I decided to try a pull-up. I don't remember the last time I tried. I did one. I didn't try another. Then, also just for fun, I tried some bench presses. I don't know the last time I did them. I added a little weight at a time to come up with a good starting place for adding them.

I noticed three open lanes in the pool, so I got dressed and hopped in. I went farther than I planned, and it felt really good. I thought about going a bit farther, but I realized I was getting tired. I also knew there had just started to be some folks waiting for a lane, so I got out.

My main regret is that it was a beautiful day, and I was inside. That's what usually keeps me away - I'd rather be out in the weather and actually doing activities, but getting in some workout time does support my ability to keep doing those other activities.

I'd do it again, but I think if tomorrow is nice out, I'll go hike. If it's not, maybe I'll go see if the pool has room for another swim, but it will be a rest day for picking things up.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Just find an activity that you like and do that. That is really the basis for all exercise programs.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Since you’re not comfortable driving, are there any city trails near you?

Several municipalities and counties here joined forces and built a walking biking trail that runs from almost downtown in our major metro area, through at least four other adjacent cities. It’s incredible. Part of it runs through a national battlefield park, several legs go through really nice watershed areas, and of course all pass through the smaller, pretty downtowns. A second trail, built on a renovated former RR track, joins it and takes it well into another state.

It staggers me how many people here I mention the trail to who have no idea it even exists. One woman literally lives ON the trail, endured construction while they widened her sidewalk and built a flashing light, brick paved pedestrian crosswalk, and had no idea it was a walking/biking trail. 🧐

It was a lifesaver for me during the pandemic. I could walk for miles and never see another soul, so I walked my way through lockdown.

I’m also able to take advantage of it to ride my bike directly to the gym and part way to the grocery when the weather is nice. Fun, and that counts as exercise, too!

Google and see if you have any hidden gyms like my trail.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. As the title suggests, I find working out incredibly boring and unfulfilling. I enjoy hiking and am an amateur figure skater, but my everyday life is quite sedentary due to my being an artist and student. Therefore, I’m trying to work out more. I don’t wish to sound pretentious, but I thrive off of intellectual stimulation and find it very difficult to do repetitive tasks that don’t involve thought. As an autistic person who also has ADHD, doing things that I have no interest in and that don’t stimulate my brain is extremely challenging due to differences in executive functioning that come with aforementioned neurodivergence. I also think that it would be misguided to devote so much of my life to something that I hate, and to associate health with misery. If anyone has any advice as to how to make exercise less boring, please share it! Many thanks. - Sebastian
    Dance and boxing are 2 types of physical fitness that takes thought. It just doesn't have to be repetitive movement, although it is needed to a point to be proficient in whatever movement you're doing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    I don’t wish to sound pretentious, but I thrive off of intellectual stimulation and find it very difficult to do repetitive tasks that don’t involve thought.

I’m on the spectrum as well, and I find I do some of my most important work (intellectually and creatively speaking) when I’m engaged in repetitive tasks. For example, when I was in class I would often get yelled at for drawing during lectures. But I could point to any drawing and tell the teacher or professor exactly what they discussed during each image I drew. They never complained again after that. Now that I think about it, I can still remember the lecture when I look at my drawings.

Another more current example is analyzing a clients scope of work for a new build and designing in my mind while walking on the treadmill, washing dishes, sweeping, or doing yard work. I’m having a hard time imagining not having an active mind while engaging in repetitive tasks.

I suppose if I didn’t have anything else I would listen to an audiobook or watch something engaging. My husband is currently learning Italian while he works out or does any repetitive tasks. Yes, they can be boring, but they don’t have to be.
  • Westendgirl75
    Westendgirl75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I find listening to upbeat music helpful and always trying to do a little bit better each workout either by adding weight, or increasing reps/sets (weight training) or adding sprints, increasing speed/resistance/ incline (cardio). I keep track of my progress by plotting my workout in a spreadsheet, and every time I do more it gets highlighted in green, but if I stay the same or decrease my activity it gets highlighted in red. The more green, the better and red just gives me an opportunity to go back and do better next time.