Sugar levels?

Options
Hi there,

I tend to eat a lot of fruit. Like, 2-3 servings/day. I eat vegan 5 days/week and find that fruit can help satisfy sweet tooth cravings for refined sugars.

However, in my food journal, my sugar levels are always high because of the fruit. Is this bad, or because the sugar is coming from fruit, does that make it less likely to have harmful effects?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Unless you've chosen a low carb approach to weight loss, there's no issue with eating fruit, and the sugars in fruit. I ignore them, personally. I focus on the added sugars, and try to limit those because I find that I do better without a lot of added sugar, and frankly, I dont need it in my cereal, or my danged catsup.

(But you'll soon hear from folks who say only calories matters).

Again, it's going to depend on how you're approaching weight loss, since you're vegan and eat a lot of fruit, you may decide that you want to limit added sugars. If that's the case, a common upper number used is 3grams per serving.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for sugar = World Health Organization's recommendation for added/refined sugar due to the global expansion of the obesity epidemic which is largely attributable to increased global consumption of highly processed foods and added sugars.

We have been eating fruits and veg for thousands upon thousand of years...I hardly think an apple a day is causing the problems we're seeing these days. Enjoy your fruit...it is good for you. Manage your macros, don't micro manage your micros.
  • ladybird_502
    ladybird_502 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys :)

I was feeling like I was stressing for no reason...but it makes sense as to why MFP uses the recommendations they do.

BTW - I can't do low-carb + vegan. Tried it - and was hungry ALL the time. Just couldn't get used to it, and NEVER had energy to work out. So, I try a reduced calorie diet that omits animals and their by-product. Seems to be working OK for me. Slow, but steady.

Thanks again!!