MACROS %

Options
What should my MACROS % be for weight loss for a middle aged female.

Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Choosing the macros is highly personal. One person may want to cut out carbs completely; a bodybuilder looking to gain muscle is likely to have more protein than a sedentary office worker.

The main reason to adjust macros is for how well it helps you stick to your calorie budget. CALORIES will determine weight loss; MACROS will determine how easy it is to stick to your calories. If you feel full after a meal, you're less likely to snack before the next meal. For some people, high protein makes them feel full; others prefer more fat; still others prefer more carbs. So how do you choose which is right for YOU?

Unless you have a particular reason to change things, it may be simplest to stick with the default MFP settings to begin. Monitor how well you are able to stick to the daily calories, if you feel hungry all the time or feel full after a meal. After about a month, take a look at what worked well and what didn't. If you're always hungry on Monday but less so on Sunday, ask yourself why. Might be from being more active, maybe from lack of sleep, or may be from different types of food being eaten. If you feel more full after a high-protein meal, maybe for you protein will be the key toward successfully controlling your appetite and should be raised SLIGHTLY (increase by 5-10% at a time, then spend another month to reassess).
  • m2f5r8gcjc
    m2f5r8gcjc Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 12
    Options
    This is a very common question I get asked all the time when clients sign up. Macros won’t make you lose weight only calories will, focus on hitting your calorie intake first then aim for around 100g of protein (if you can) try not to get too caught up on carbs and fats as this will have very little impact on your weight loss.

Simplicity is the key to long lasting the results, the more complicated it is the less likely you’ll stick to it for life.

Focus on the things that move the needle the most

1.Calorie intake and making sure your in a deficit
    2.Sleep! When you don’t sleep enough your body releases the hunger hormone ghrelin which makes it harder to stay in a deficit
    3.Water intake, aim for 1 litre before midday then slowly taper it off by 6-7pm so your not up all night
    4.Mindset shift from unconscious eating to conscious eating, be aware of those zombie walks to the cupboard and mindlessly eating snacks and regretting it after.

If you tell me your hight, weight and activity level I can give you a good starting point in terms of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Choosing the macros is highly personal. One person may want to cut out carbs completely; a bodybuilder looking to gain muscle is likely to have more protein than a sedentary office worker.

The main reason to adjust macros is for how well it helps you stick to your calorie budget. CALORIES will determine weight loss; MACROS will determine how easy it is to stick to your calories. If you feel full after a meal, you're less likely to snack before the next meal. For some people, high protein makes them feel full; others prefer more fat; still others prefer more carbs. So how do you choose which is right for YOU?

Unless you have a particular reason to change things, it may be simplest to stick with the default MFP settings to begin. Monitor how well you are able to stick to the daily calories, if you feel hungry all the time or feel full after a meal. After about a month, take a look at what worked well and what didn't. If you're always hungry on Monday but less so on Sunday, ask yourself why. Might be from being more active, maybe from lack of sleep, or may be from different types of food being eaten. If you feel more full after a high-protein meal, maybe for you protein will be the key toward successfully controlling your appetite and should be raised SLIGHTLY (increase by 5-10% at a time, then spend another month to reassess).

Since you're female, and the posters who responded are male, I'm just chiming in to say I'm female and agree with both, and the above is essentially what I would have said.

I'll just add that keto and vegan have very different macros, yet both work well for some people. Personally, I prefer closer to the default MFP macros.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Get away from ratios and use grams instead. Protein is the priority. .8-1 gram per pound of LEAN weight, this is your weight minus most of the fat. Then get in around .3 grams of good fats with the same body mass equation. After that you can do whatever you want, really. Some people find more fat keeps them more satiated and for some, it's more protein. The key is your WEEKLY CALORIE AMOUNT.