Making a new recipe

Options
Ok, so i'm new at this and want to input a new recipe but how do you find out all of the nutritional info so that it is correct for weight loss? What i'm needing help with do you go buy what is on the packaging as for servings, just so that you have the correct information. Like when you are putting together a salad such as a Shrimp, Avocado salad

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but maybe this will help.

What I do is use the recipe feature to batch cook things like a big pot of soup or something. I input all the ingredients. Then I try to make sure that the things that auto-fill actually are the right items. It's a real pain in the rear sometimes, but if it's a recipe I make more than a one-off thing, it will be worth it in the long run.

Then I cook the food.

Then I weigh the result in grams. I set the recipe so that the number of servings is the number of grams I made. Then when I serve some, I weigh what I serve and that's how many "servings" of the recipe I eat. Then I get all the nutritional information from my one serving.

As an example, split pea and barley soup that I'm eating now - not including spices and such that doesn't add calories, the general recipe is:

1 lb(s), Peas, split, dried, raw
    0.50 cup, Barley, hulled
    7 clove , Garlic
    259 - grams carrot
    0.75 cup, chopped, Yellow onion
    3 stalk, medium, Celery

This made 2882 grams of soup, so 2882 servings. Tonight I ate 505 grams, so that was 359 calories, 67g carbs, 21g protein... you get the idea.

Does that help?
  • rodneybrookshire8391
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

What I do is use the recipe feature to batch cook things like a big pot of soup or something. I input all the ingredients. Then I try to make sure that the things that auto-fill actually are the right items. It's a real pain in the rear sometimes, but if it's a recipe I make more than a one-off thing, it will be worth it in the long run.

Then I cook the food.

Then I weigh the result in grams. I set the recipe so that the number of servings is the number of grams I made. Then when I serve some, I weigh what I serve and that's how many "servings" of the recipe I eat. Then I get all the nutritional information from my one serving.

As an example, split pea and barley soup that I'm eating now - not including spices and such that doesn't add calories, the general recipe is:

0.50 cup, Barley, hulled
    7 clove , Garlic
    259 - grams carrot
    3 stalk, medium, Celery

This made 2882 grams of soup, so 2882 servings. Tonight I ate 505 grams, so that was 359 calories, 67g carbs, 21g protein... you get the idea.

Does that help?

Yes it does, Thank you for the confusion in my question. But why do you do it by grams,should you do it by one's or is that when your weighing cooked meats?
  • rodneybrookshire8391
    Options

Then I cook the food.

0.50 cup, Barley, hulled
    7 clove , Garlic
    259 - grams carrot
    3 stalk, medium, Celery

Does that help?

I meant ounces not ones. Damn auto-correct
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can use ounces or grams. I tend to use grams because they are a bit more precise on my scale. 28g = 1 oz and my scale only goes to 0.1 oz increments, so I get a little more precision out of grams than ounces. I also tend to use grams because more of the food entries or labels I use seem to have grams as a weight measurement unit option than ounces. I can always convert from one to the other, but I do tend to default to grams for that reason.

I also do almost all of my measurements in weight vs volume. If it's something with a low calorie density (broccoli, for example) then I usually don't bother weighing if the recipe calls for a volume measurement, but the more calorie dense something is, the more likely I am to weigh it and be accurate about how much of it I'm putting in. I throw in extra broccoli and other low calorie vegetables with wild abandon, but oils and butters are always added by weight and I can get a bit stingy with them.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    edited February 13
    Options

Then I cook the food.

0.50 cup, Barley, hulled
    7 clove , Garlic
    259 - grams carrot
    3 stalk, medium, Celery

Does that help?

Yes it does, Thank you for the confusion in my question. But why do you do it by grams,should you do it by one's or is that when your weighing cooked meats?

I'm glad I answered satisfactorily. It's always a work in progress. You'll keep learning, and that's a good thing! I am always chuffed to learn something new.

I prefer grams. In general, I prefer metric units. I think multiplying by ten is easier than dividing in half over and over. Or in the case of pounds, dividing by 16. The nice thing about grams is that they're whole numbers. There's 28 grams in an ounce, so the measurement is finer unless you're measuring in tenths of ounces, and that's just a pain in the butt.

There's some things I measure in ounces. Not many.