Carnivore diet

Options
Has anyone ever tried the carnivore diet? Is it a lot like keto? Does it work? Sustainable? Looking for motivation and a step in the right direction.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto since April last year. I have gone more and more Ketovore over time, and while not technically carnivore, I lean that way in my way of eating, so yes, it is like Keto in the sense that carbs will be minimal since it is all animal products. The most rigid form is the beef and salt only which many call the Lion Diet.

Does it work? Work for what? Weight loss, sure, it will fill you up and result in you eating in a caloric deficit. Various other health benefits are why the majority of people I know do it, and it does bring benefits there as well.

Is it sustainable? That depends on you. Basically, every way of eating that people seem to use to lose weight has a high drop out rate. I would guess Carnivore like Vegan is at the higher end of the drop out rate. In the end it depends on whether it works for you. Ketovore works for me as a way of eating. I don't know if strict Carnivore would. Over the last year I have seen numerous health benefits from Keto, and I don't find it difficult to eat in a way that maintains nutritional ketosis largely because many of the things that most people would crave are foods I didn't eat a lot of in the first place although I forced myself to eat them (fruits and veggies) early on in my weight loss because they are nutritionally dense. However, after 3 month of good weight loss my HbA1C went up not down, and having seen the ravages of diabetes that is managed the way that dominates today as the Diabetes Associate and Doctors approach it, I decided that Keto was the way to go as it eliminates the carbs and eliminates the problem. As I said, it works for me. That doesn't mean it is the only way to eat or that it is best for everyone. The only way you can know for yourself it try it for 30-60 days and see.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I am a huge meat eater especially free-range white tail meat and very little farmed meat but as much as I like it, I don't think I could stay on a meat only diet for very long.

Maybe try keto first and then move on from there.

I feel my very best on KETO and if I deviate from it, I feel like crap... :)

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I am a huge meat eater especially free-range white tail meat and very little farmed meat but as much as I like it, I don't think I could stay on a meat only diet for very long.

I am just getting into hunting. All my sources for venison dried up, and I figured if I want any more I will have to get hunting myself. I am still at the point of shopping for a x-bow, but I am looking forward to eventually being able to enjoy meat I have provided for my family myself beyond the fish I already catch in a year.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    If it's sustainable depends on your body's preferences. Some people thrive on such a diet, others feel miserable and need a lot more carbs. Try it. If it doesn't work, or the way of eating makes you unhappy then don't do it. Nothing lost, only gained more insight for yourself.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »

I am just getting into hunting. All my sources for venison dried up, and I figured if I want any more I will have to get hunting myself. I am still at the point of shopping for a x-bow, but I am looking forward to eventually being able to enjoy meat I have provided for my family myself beyond the fish I already catch in a year.

Thats awesome. I pride myself on being self-reliant. Catch clean and cook! :)
  • aimee_belle
    aimee_belle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me. I’m on carnivore. Started it on the 26th of jan. I have lost 24lbs.

It’s been the easiest diet I have tried over many years of struggling with my weight. I have no desire to eat anything remotely off plan.

I feel like with other diets such as calorie counting it’s so easy to go off plan. Well
    For me anyways.

I also feel like it’s easier to navigate but there isn’t such a huge variety of what you can eat. It’s pretty simple.

The best diet by far for me. I’m very low B12 too so this is perfect.
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started carnivore last sunday. Until now lost 4 pounds (which I believe to be water weight only). On the other hand, I've been consuming more calories than before (around 1500 per day), which is very satistying compared to starving myself without any results. The effects I could feel in 5 days are quite interesting: slept like a log (I have experienced insomnia for years), no hungry at all, back pain reduced in 80%, joint pain disapeared in a couple of days. I don't think it is easy to maintain, but the effects are so much deeper than losing weight I belive they could give me the discipline I need to feel good again.
  • staceykc123
    staceykc123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m giving it a try. I’ve only been doing it for 2 weeks. I have very little joint pain anymore and I had a referral for physical therapy for my shoulder. I sleep really good at night and not as tired during the day. Increased mental clarity. Still trying to figure things out to try to increase my weight loss. For some reason, that hasn’t been significant. Everything else has been a dream come true!
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I’ve been following a carnivore diet for 5.5 years I sometimes go way off but for the most part it has been great.
    I’m 71 and I feel really great on it. In the past I’ve tried vegan and vegetarian and also low fat diets but always suffered from nutrient deficiencies leading to flakey nails, gum disease and cracks in the corners of my mouth. I’m finding Carnivore to be highly nutritious.
    It has really helped my joint pain in knees and ankles and has reduced arthritic inflammation in my hands
    I’m not always perfect but in the whole it has been a great choice for me.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm about 3-4 weeks into a Carnivore diet. Chest pain from cardio has gone, lower back pain from long walks has gone, bruxism has gone, dry skin is clearing up. I generally feel more stable and energised.

The only negatives I had was diarreah for a few days and really, really dry lips. Diarreah passed. Dry lips seemed to be caused by drinking excess water and flushing electrolytes out my system. A simple chicken bone broth has helped rebalance that and keep my lips normal.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I followed for 2 years a Paleo diet that was majority-meat. I gained some muscle without weightlifting, but its very hard to fit into social gatherings that include food. My wife said I smelled funny during that time.