I love to be fit always do you think it keeps us healthy or it doesn’t mean anything

Options
Health is wealth I think is underrated

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options

Depends on your definition of fit and your definition of health. You can be fit without being healthy. Does it help? Well... it helps to not be obese. Beyond that.... not really. Law of diminishing returns, basically.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    Isn't the very act of losing weight until you reach a desired goal an act of diminishing returns?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Fitness is part of the picture for improving odds of long-term good health, but it's not the whole picture.

Nutrition, a reasonable body weight, good sleep habits are some other biggies. (There's more, but I won't belabor the point.)

I was reasonably fit while still obese, in terms of objective measures like resting heart rate, endurance, race pace (at least for my demographic as a late bloomer), strength, etc.

But I stayed overweight/obese for another dozen years despite being very active athletically and reasonably fit. I wasn't healthy.

I was a healthier obese person than I would've been if I hadn't been active/athletic, sure. But not optimally healthy. Reaching a healthy weight around 8 years ago (and staying there) improved my health both subjectively (feeling much better) and objectively (terms of measurements like blood lipids and blood pressure).

I'm still not optimally healthy, even though my nutrition is pretty good. There are always tradeoffs; there are always things that could be improved. Also, many of us may not put perfect health as our primary or only objective in practice. Other valued things, like investing time and energy in family, career, education, etc., may limit perfectability of health.

And then there's random bad things that can happen sometimes through zero fault of our own, such as accidental injuries.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Isn't the very act of losing weight until you reach a desired goal an act of diminishing returns?

Yes, in that as you get closer and closer to "goal" weight it becomes increasingly more difficult for fewer returns (ie you won't see the pounds coming off as fast, you'll likely have to continue decreasing calorie intake a bit at a time as you lose more weight to continue losing weight). This is why you hear so many people bemoan those last 10 pounds they're fighting to drop.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,668 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    And, presumably, your title of the post too: "I love to be fit always do you think it keeps us healthy or it doesn’t mean anything"

Health IS wealth because only one of the two is a requirement if you want to be able to enjoy the other.

"Loving to be fit always" is on the balance of probabilities more likely than not to ENHANCE your ability to reach your intrinsic health maximum.

But it is not sufficient to guarantee that your intrinsic health maximum will either be reached (f.e. due to an accident, or a transmitted illness you didn't manage to avoid) or that your intrinsic health maximum is particularly high to begin with (hidden or not so hidden manufacturing defects or random chance).