Chicken and Brown Rice

Options
I want to use some chicken leg quarters and half a cup of brown rice. Maybe add some vegetables if I'm feeling brave. I tried using .5 1 cups of Brown Rice, but it assumes I'm eating all half a cup of rice when I'm just cooking it into the meal. How do I separate "I'm eating just a little chicken and rice" from "Oh hey, you're eating like 70 carbs. See what I'm saying?

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    No, what's your problem? You seem to put some very negative thoughts towards food. Can you explain a bit better what your problem is? Are you usually eating a carnivore diet? Do you think rice is bad for you? Or are there medical reasons?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    I'm also not sure what your question is.

You measure your rice beforehand. If you eat the whole meal in one go, log that entire amount. If you eat the meal spread over 2 days, then log half the amount.

You can enter fractions of units, if that's your problem, of the unit if the food entry is too big?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? If so - it's easy.

Go to the RECIPE section of your food diary. Make a new recipe called "Chicken and Rice."

Enter 0.5 cups uncooked brown rice
    Enter xxx grams of dark meat raw chicken
    Enter a half an onion
    Enter the other vegetables
    For now, just say it's one serving and save the recipe.

Cook the recipe. When it's done, weigh the results. I have the tare weights of all my pots and pans written on them in sharpie so I can deduct it. Then you know how many grams you made. Now edit your recipe and change the number of servings to the number of grams you made.

Then when you serve yourself, you just weigh what you're eating in grams and the magic happens.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    No, what's your problem? You seem to put some very negative thoughts towards food. Can you explain a bit better what your problem is? Are you usually eating a carnivore diet? Do you think rice is bad for you? Or are there medical reasons?

Ok, I totally did NOT get the same vibe from the OP as you apparently did. I saw a touch of humor in the post, I'm guessing you instead saw some sort of food-Nazi or something.

To @authurkimmel you can follow the most-accurate advice of mtaratoot, or the simplified version of lietchi. I tell MFP to record fractions of things all the time. Some fractions are simply smaller one day than another.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 474 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    So, when you add the rice to the chicken and maybe vegetables, are you using 1/2 cup uncooked (dry) rice or 1/2 cup pre-cooked rice?

When you dish up onto your plate to eat, are you taking all the rice or just part? I take part all the time and enter what I ate in the calculator. Baked chicken and rice is always a fave. Sometimes add frozen vegetables to it before baking.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I love chicken, rice, onions and broccoli in a casserole. Just enough melted cheese (or bacon bits) on top to make it purty! Like mtaratoot said. Weigh it and enjoy it!